New Here -- Advice Needed!
    MamaTeacher22 is offline Junior Member

Smile New Here -- Advice Needed!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but so far I'm loving what I see. This looks like a treasure trove of information for me, I can't believe I didn't know about this forum before now.

I tried to post this earlier, but it looks as though it didn't go through. Here's my situation:

I'm a mom to two wonderful kids, my daughter is 7 and my son is 5. He receives Speech Therapy through the public school system here in Red River Parish, but aside from that they're both homeschooled.

I've been homeschooling my 7 year old for years, but this is the first year that I've had to send any information to the State. I wasn't aware of the option to list myself as a private school (I don't know how I missed that!), so we're signed up under the Home Study program.

My question is, would it be possible for me to opt out of the Home Study program now and send a certified letter stating that I'm operating a private school? My concern is that it's already the middle of January, and I'd really like to follow the "regular" school calendar of starting in August. (Which is what we do anyway.) I sent in my application for the Home Study program this past August, so I'm not sure what to do. From what I've read here so far, it seems like declaring yourself as a private school is a much better (and easier!) way to go. Would it be better to wait and send in the required documentation for the Home Study program in August along with a letter stating my intent to be classified as a private school, or should I go ahead and do it now?

I know that I don't have to list my son as a student yet since he's only 5, and I know that the letter should give the name of my school (advice on that would be good too--what do you call your "schools"?), the number of students enrolled (just 1 for now), and that we'll be operating for 180 days. Is there anything else that I need to put in there?

I'm also going to check out T4L--I like the curriculum I have now, but T4L sounds like it might be a good fit for us.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and I'm really looking forward to hearing from y'all!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hey! I replied to your post in the other thread...check it out!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!