New here, need a little advice!
    MamaTeacher22 is offline Junior Member

Default New here, need a little advice!

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this forum, but from what I've seen so far it seems like a very friendly and helpful place--I wish I'd joined a long time ago!

I need a little advice. I've been homeschooling my daughter (7) for three years now, but just began officially homeschooling through the State this August. I wasn't aware that I could use the private school option, so I applied and was accepted for the Home Study Program. Things are going really well, and I love homeschooling. I also homeschool my just-turned-5 year old son, but he receives Speech Therapy through the public school here in Red River Parish. I am (or was) a certified teacher for grades 1-6, but I'm sure my certification has expired by now. I quit teaching when I was pregnant with my daughter, and with where we live, homeschooling has absolutely been the best option for us.

My question is this--would it be possible at this point (mid-January) to send in a certified letter stating that I'm a private school and therefore opting out of the Home Study program? Nothing would change in my own curriculum, of course, but from what I've read here it's much easier to use the private school option. I know that I don't have to do anything for my son until he's 7, so I'm not concerned about that at this point.

I know that the letter should contain the "name" of my school, the number of children enrolled (so just 1, for now), and that we'll be operating for 180 days. (We do school pretty much year round.) If I am able to declare myself as having a private school, do all the days I've been schooling since August 2012 count for that? Would it be easier to just wait until August 2013 and send in the required documentation and then send the letter for the private school option? I'm a little confused, and would greatly appreciate any advice y'all are willing to share!

I'm also very interested now in T4L--I'm pretty happy with the curriculum I have now, but it is very time and labor intensive, so I'm going to do some reading and see if T4L might be a better way for us to do things.

Now, off to poke around these forums a bit more...I only know one other mother who homeschools, and she lives an hour away, so I'm very excited to have found a forum like this!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Glad you are here! We absolutely love Time4Learning! I can honestly say that I took the plunge into homeschooling because I found Time4Learning. I needed a curriculum that made the lessons plans, and kept my records, and pointed me in the right direction. I was terrified that I would miss teaching something vital and mess my child up forever LOL! However, after trying T4L I felt more confident and certain that homeschooling really could work for us.

Ive answered some of your other questions in a different thread. We are really happy to have you here,and hope that you will use Time4Learning as part of your homeschool experience!

Let me add that there are some other great resources:
    Learning Games for Kids is totally kid friendly, education games, ranging from spelling to keyboarding, to music and art games. Totally free, too!

Vocabulary and Spelling City is also a great resource for spelling, grammar, and language arts. Also very kid friendly, and a great resource for spelling lists, games like HangMouse, Hig Pig, word search puzzles, etc. There are free and premium versions, well worth the cost!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

MamaTeacher22 is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much, Linda! I really appreciate you taking time to reply to the other thread--I'll be checking it out as soon as I finish this post. And thank you so much for the links, I'm really looking forward to looking at them and hope that the kids will love them too. They're both really excelling with T4L; I signed up the same day I made my first post here. It's been a life-saver for my son, who is very difficult to teach in a "traditional" fashion...he doesn't like workbooks and such at ALL. He's very different from my daughter in that respect, she's always been a pleasure to teach. We're very lucky to have a large "homeschool room," and I have whiteboards and lots of charts and calendars and things on the wall, as well as a very wide variety of curriculum that I've bought over the years. Plus I have lots of manipulatives and such that I have left over from my public school teaching days.

I love that T4L lets us move up or down grade levels depending on where the kids are at, and they both think it's really fun. They've both learned so much already, and it's allowed me to see where my own curriculum was lacking as well as the strong points of it. I really want to continue with my Spelling (All About Spelling), Grammar (Growing With Grammar), and Math (Math Mammoth) curriculums, so I'm trying to figure out the perfect balance of doing those in addition to T4L. I'm leaning toward an every other day approach with the AAS, GWG, and MM but doing Science and Social Studies on T4L everyday.

Anyway, thanks again for responding and for the websites you mentioned. It's lovely to "meet" you, and I'm looking forward to joining in other conversations here as well!
    Last edited by MamaTeacher22; 01-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Very nice to "meet" you also! I look forward to interacting more with you on the forum. We all have something to add to the conversation, and we can always learn something new, as well. Don't be a stranger!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!