New to home schooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default New to home schooling

I live in Baton Rouge and have an 8 yr. old son going into the third grade. I am unsatisfied with the public school in the district I currently live in and think home schooling is the best option right now. I lived here before but just moved back a few weeks ago and am very new to this and don't know where to begin. I picked up an application from the LA State Board of Education but don't know when to begin since the school year just began today. Since we just moved back I havn't had any time to find out enough information to begin just yet. I don't know anyone who has home schooled or any one else that can point me in any direction. Some of the concerns i have are interaction with other children his age, cost of home schooling or what materials are needed. Also I don't know how soon I need to begin, like how much time I have to research it all. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Unregistered Guest

You have time don't be stressed. I just moved to Louisiana two weeks ago and still haven't registered. If you are declaring your own school you just need to send a letter in within 30 days of the beginning of your school year. There are a lot of sites that can give you information. I say talk to local homeschool groups or the state group for advice not the school district. Best of luck!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I must apologize, sometimes the forum does not alert me to the fact that messages came in, and I was having a terrible time during the time that these posts came in. I do not want you to think that this is the norm...ignoring you! It most definetly is NOT normal for a post to go this long without an answer.
    I would imagine that by now you have gotten your paper work turned in to the state. Most people I know select the private school, not seeking approval option to homeschool in Louisiana. If you haven't turned in paperwork, it is not too late, you should do it soon however. I don't know what part of the state the two of you live in, but there are a number of homeschool groups in Louisiana, serving different parts of the state. Make a google search for "homeschool group in ______your city_____" and you should get a listing unless you live some place really little, if that is true, then try the closest larger town or city.
    I truely hope that homeschool is working for you, and if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you.
    Again, I apologize for the delay...I will try to avoid it happening again.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!