New from Houma Louisana
    calebsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New from Houma Louisana

Hi my name is Gwen and I am new to homeschooling. I am looking forward to meeting parents from Louisiana who also homeschool. Any advice you can give to a new parent would be greatly appreciated......

SGSmith is offline Junior Member Newbie

I live in Houma as well. I just signed up. My daughter is 14 and developmentally delayed. We have just pulled her from public school. Nice to see someone who lives in same area.

Shelley

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I live a little distance from you all, near Baton Rouge. I'm glad to see more Louisiana people signing on to T4L!
    The best advice I can give you is to hang in there...things may not go smoothly right at first because T4L is different than they are used to in public schools. Sometimes when students are pulled from public school to homeschool they need a period of decompression. This time allows them to learn to love learning again, it allows them to adjust to the differences between homeschooling and public school. I have heard that the general rule is a month of decompression time for each year they were in public school, so if your child is a 3rd grader, they would need 3-4 months of homeschooling to become more comfortable with it. Of course, your child might be the exception and need more or less time to adjust Hang in and enjoy the time, when you see your child's face light up because they "get it" you will know that the waiting and hard work are worth it.
    Let us know if there is anything we can do to help, even if it is just to lend a kind word!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!