New in New Orleans!
    Annette is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New in New Orleans!

Hi! I'm in Uptown New Orleans. We pulled our child out of 7th grade at the end of November and will start T4L next week. Glad I found it. Hope it works. I have researched local homeschooling resources a bit. There is a co-op run by CHEF, which offers Latin, science, art and PE once a week. They meet at a church in Lakeview. It's a Christian organization (they want you to sign a pledge that you are an evangelical Christian to take part). There also is a group of unschoolers who do park days at Audubon Park and City Park, and they have field trips once a week. I think it will be useful to talk to other families in our situation to see if we can find some activities that kids enjoy. Always looking for activities that kids can do -- drama, art, volunteer -- that aren't too expensive and fit in our schedule. I work full time, my husband stays home. Anyway, glad to be in the T4L group and hope to hear from others about fun and interesting things to do in the New Orleans metro area. Thanks Annette

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New in New Orleans!

Welcome Annette,

Glad to see you found us and hope your homeschooling endeavors are successful. I hope T4L works for your child.
    Thanks for the tips about groups in your area. They are much appreciated! I think you will be surprised at the number of things you can find for your kids to do during the day, when everyone else is in school or working. We find that the crowds are smaller, and there is no shortage of things to do. You might consider heading toward Baton Rouge on occasion, there is LASM, the USS Kidd, the Shaw Center and the state government buildings, both modern and historical.

Chime in anytime you need help, reassurance, or just another homeschooler to remind you that "this can be done!"

Linda
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!