New School Year

Thread: New School Year

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default New School Year

Greetings Louisiana Homeschoolers!
    We haven't had much activity here, but I would love to hear from other Louisiana Homeschoolers. I just wanted to remind you that the time has come to send in your letter to the Louisiana Board Elementary and Secondary Education, either to get approval for your home study program or your notification of non-accredited private school status. This needs to be done early in the school year. If you need assistance on the format for the letters let me know and I will do my best to help you with that. On the fun side, don't forget to stock up on those school supplies you think you might need. Remember that they are less expensive now than they will be in a month or so.

Best of luck in this new school year!!
    Linda
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Anna is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: New School Year

Hi Linda! I was wondering what does it mean to a non-accredited private school and what is the difference? When I first started homeschooling I wasn't too sure what I was getting into. I was thinking it had to be just like P/S with the 8 hours a day and that it had to be exactly what other P/S where learning. When I called Sue Milican's office, the lady that answered my question told me that I was completely responsible for the curruiculum and what my child learned--- so basically I could teach and work with him whatever I felt he needed. Did you ever go thru this when you first started homeschool?? LOL I hope I made sense....

Anna,
    I was TERRIFIED when I started homeschooling. I cried for weeks. Then I realized my home, life, and relationships were so much calmer. Life didn't feel frazzled anymore. Hectic, sure, but not frazzled. Part of the reason I decided on T4L was that it took a lot of the guesswork out of what I needed to teach, how to teach it, and were we coving what we needed to cover for a school year. It also took the guesswork out of how to quantify what was learned and how to record that. I guess I stick with T4L for exactly the same reasons. I just don't have to worry about it any more.
    As for the non-accredited homeschool part...A private school that seeks accreditation from the state of Louisiana has to meet certain requirements, certified teachers, and things like that. As a homeschooler using the non-accredited private school option, you are not required to meet those specifications. The downside is that you don't get the bonus of having children eligible for T.O.P.S. If your children are elementary to middle school (probably, since you are using T4L), then this is not really a negative for you. It won't really matter until high school.
    Hope this helped!
    Linda

tekari is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to chime in. I am homeschooling my daughter, but she is still young. She will be 4 in January. Interesting though that although school is not required until she is 7, many people here have questioned me quite adamantly about why I don't have her in preschool. (I live in Leesville which is 1 hour west of Alexandria and 2 hours south of Shreveport - Fort Polk).

As far as T4L - We are using the preschool them boxes and everyone once in awhile she ventures into the K curriculum. She particularly likes the Language Arts in the K level because she can already read short words with short vowel sounds. She often asks me, "Can I play my computer games?" She thinks it is great fun.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better!

~Kateri

Hi Ketari,
    Welcome! I think it is wonderful that you are working with her at home already. I remember people being horrified that I had not put my daughter in pre-k when I signed her up for kindergarten. "She will be behind...she will not know how to behave..." Well, she was no where near behind, and she behaved like a human being, though a small one. Working with her at home, in a comfortable and comforting environment provides a great many benefits. I'm so glad she is enjoying it! We are glad you joined us.

Linda
    T4L LA State Rep
    Homeschooler of a 9y/o daughter
    Linda