New T4L Member

Thread: New T4L Member

Unregistered Guest

Red face New T4L Member

This is my 2nd year homeschooling my four kids. Last year was pretty rough trying to figure out where to start, what to do, etc but we made it through. This is the 1st time using T4L and so far the kids love it. Anyone else in the Baton Rouge/Gonzales/Prairieville area??

Jody

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Jody,
    Welcome to Time4Learning! I hope that this program will make things really easy for you, it has for me!
    You just missed me, I left the Denham Springs/Baton Rouge area in June of this year! Look on the internet for the Baton Rouge Homeschool Association, they are a fairly active group in the Baton Rouge/Prairieville/Denham Springs area.
    We are glad to have you, and happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Pulling kids out of school this week!!! HELP!!!

Hello all!!

We just moved from Lake Charles to Gonzales almost 2 weeks ago. The school the kids were attending (2 in 6th) was a great family friendly school. We moved to Gonzales for my husbands job. I spent a lot of time researching schools & areas before our move and I had thought I did a pretty good job!! I looked on greatschools.com for test scores and parent reviews. I narrowed it down to Prairieville, Dutchtown & St Amant schools. We found a house for rent in the Pelican Point subdivision, so the kids started St Amant middle school last week. They HATE it!!! The kids all cuss all the time, even in front of teachers & nothing is done about it! The kids are rude in class and do not listen to the teachers, so they end up yelling and this stresses my kids out as they are not used to that. My daughter has a "medical Condition" called Alopecia which caused her to loose all of her hair when she was 4 years old. She is now 11 and has had pretty good regrowth on her head & eyebrows...... still waiting on the eyelashes. Girls are mean to her and she has said that she just doesn't feel comfortable there. I was looking online for homeschooling options and was planning on doing the K12 one through the school board, bit they are closed for this semester & will not open p enrollment til December, and I do not want to wait that long. I came across this site and just need some feed back from parent s who have used this program for middle school. It seems great that I do not have the "plan" everyday lessons and the grading is all done online. Please advise as to how to start this process!! Also looking for other families in the Gonzales area.
    Thanks

Sharon

sandra1968 Guest

Sharon, welcome to the community. I think that's great that you are jumping into this big adventure. Let me just answer one of your questions.

You'll find that the grading is automatic and that you'll get great records with Time4Learning. The teaching and explanations are also great. And it covers several subjects. But at times, students don't "get" something and will need more help. This is where you step in.

Some parents wanted more help in teaching writing (which is not graded by the system on Time4Learning), so for them, there is a sister service called Time4Learning.com.

Sharon,
    I'm so sorry that your experience with the public schools is so stressful. The parish you moved into has experienced a really large population growth in the last few years. Not that that is an excuse, I'm just saying that one of the issues of your parish growing and propsering is that schools tend to not keep up with that type of growth.

I am a little biased about Time4Learning ! I love this program. I am an "accidental homeschooler" as T4L calls them. I never planned to homeschool, even thought it was a very, very bad idea. But circumstances indicated that I needed to pull my daughter from public school and so we began homeschooling with T4L. If you have never homeschooled before, T4L is a great way to do it because it is "turn key", it doesn't require more from you than you can do or know how to do as a new homeschooler. Lessons are planned, activities, quizzes, chapter tests are all graded for you, and then you can see how your children are doing through reports. The reports can be sorted by date, subject, or activity type. I love this feature!

If you are considering homeschooling, most people I know who homeschool in Louisiana use the Option 2, which is establishing your own private school, not seeking accreditation. It is the easiest version, I think. That is how we do it.
    You notify the board of education that your private school (enter name you give it) is opening on (enter date), will operate for at least 180 days (the number required in LA) and that you have 2 students enrolled (or however many you have!) You do not need to mention their names, DOB, grade etc. Then mail it...if you need the address I will see if I can find it for you.
    The other thing you will need to do is send a letter of withdrawal to their current school, and request their records.

If you choose option 1, which is the home study program, I will look it up for you if you want, but I think that Option 2, IMHO, is the best and easiest way to go to minimize input from the public school system and the board of education.

I hope you give T4L a try, I know that I love it, have used it for going on 6 years and would never change, except that my daughter will complete all they grades they offer at the end of next school year!!

Sandra, thanks for mentioning Time4Writing. It is the writing program, they offer individual classes and instruction over a wide range of grades.
    In Time4Learning, you pay monthly for all offered courses. In Time4Writing, you pay per class.
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 10-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    Linda

Sea73 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys!! I really like this program for starting out, then we'll see how it goes later on. I mailed my letter to the state doe today, hope to hear back soon!! I also mailed my letter of intent to their school yesterday. The school called today to check on their absences (2) and I informed them that I have decided to pull them out and to home school. The lady on the other end got really rude and short with me. She told me that I would have to show proof to them that the kids are enrolled somewhere else and after their 5th day of being absent they would notify the truancy office! I told her (politely) that I had mailed my letter of intent to them and that I was waiting on a reply back from the state on my letter that I sent them. She repeated that they would not drop my kids from their system till they had that letter!! I called a friend of mine in Lake Charles that home schools and spoke with her. She reassured me that I was doing the right thing and as long as I covered all of my bases, I will be fine. Then, later in the day, another lady from the school called (different person) and she was very nice and helpful. She was the counselor and had received my letter of intent was calling to see what we were planning on doing for the kids education. I told her that we are trying different things to see what works for the kids. She asked if I was interested in the parishes virtual k12 school and I told her we were looking at the program too, she said that she would try to get me some info on it. She did say that they could not remove the kids from their school till I head the letter back from the state, but that my letter of intent would work like a parent excuse till then. After speaking with other local homeschool moms, I was told that the school does not need to see that letter in order for me to withdraw them from the school. All I needed to do was go sign the form and if the form had a space for their new school , I could put whatever name I wanted. So..... I am going up to the school tomorrow to withdraw them and see how it goes from there.
    Thanks again for the helpful info!! Im sure I will have many more questions!!!

Sharon

It does not surprise me that the first lady from the school was rude, they seem to take it personally when we withdraw our children.

The other homeschooling moms are correct, the school does not need to see the letter from the state. If fact, you will probably not even get a letter from the state. What you will get is a copy of the letter you sent them with a "time/date stamp". It will probably be back to you in 2 weeks or less. I always sent my letter certified/return receipt requested, so that I had indication that they had gotten my letter (in case they didn't send me back my time/date stamp copy, I always did, but I'm a little paranoid LOL) Keep that letter as it is your proof that you notified the state of your kids educational situation. I always kept a copy of the letter in my car, so that I could show it if anyone ever wanted to know why my daughter wasn't in school. No one ever even questioned.

As long as you withdrew from the school in writing, and notified them of your children's new school (the name of your homeschool) and you sent your letter to the state DOE, you are covered legally. I just have one comment about the K12...it is public school at home, not homeschooling. There is a fine line of distinction and some people don't even notice that line. However, you will still be answering to the state regarding how you educate your child and they still have input, so if you are looking to sever ties with the DOE and the state, K12 will not get that for you. At least, that is my understanding.

Let us know how everything goes!
    Linda

Sea73 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all you input Linda!! I went & withdrew them from the school today & the lady still insisted that they have to have the letter (my returned steamed letter) from the state before they can officially withdraw. I told her politely, that they did not need that letter, that all I needed to do was to send the school the letter of intent (which they did receive) and sign the withdraw form (which I finally got to do today!!) and that the state just needed a letter from me informing them of my request to register as a private school not seeking approval. She didn't say much after that, just that they will still be adding up absences. But, I do have a copy of the withdrawal form dated for today (with only 3 absences noted on it), my copy of the letter I mailed DOE & my receipt for the certified letter to the doe. So, if I should get a visit from a truancy official, will that cover me till I get my stamped returned letter??

I don't think I will be doing the k12 thing. I am looking at doing a little bit of different curriculums till we figure out what works. I am leaning towards starting with time4learning and adding in saxon math & grammar, spell quizzer, advanced writing resources & A/O life pacs for history & geography & also science. But those will be later, after we start the T4L & see how it works and go from there & add what I feel is needed.

Thanks

Sharon

Sharon,
    I believe you are covered. I do not recall sending the school a copy of my homeschool letter . I do not read anything in the law that requires it. I believe it is more information that the school is entitled to. For example, if you were moving your children to the exclusive, church run expensive private school down the street would the public school require a letter from them to stop counting absences? I don't think so.

Here is the disclaimer though, I can't give you legal advice. I can tell you what I did, and what others I know did. I would recommend that you look for a local homeschool group and check with some of those moms. (Baton Rouge Homeschool Association, BRHA, has a group that I think several of the leaders are out of your parish, and can be found online)

You may find that a membership to HSLDA (Homeschool Legal defense association) might put your mind at ease. I have not held a membership to them and have never had any problems. If in the big scheme of things you just want to send a copy of your stamped letter to the school to cover all your bases, it is not too much trouble or expense to send it. I just believe it is above and beyond the requirements of the law.

I know that a lot of people start out with T4L with the intent of moving to a more conventional curriculum once they get started, but as they work through, find that T4L is pretty complete for core subjects, and offers more information per grade level than the children would ever be exposed to in public school. See how it works out for your kids. Also, if you want to suppliment spelling check out Vocabulary and Spelling City. There is a free version and a premium version. You can input your own spelling lists and create handwriting, find a word, spelling quizzes, vocabulary lists and lots of other spelling games and there is also instructional material as well.

I hope everything works out and that your children thrive in homeschool!
    Linda