newbie in Tangipahoa Parish
    nliuzza16 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default newbie in Tangipahoa Parish

My family has just started our journey to homeschooling. We plan to start next school year. My DD (2nd grade) currently attends a private school and my SDD (2nd grade) and SDS (kindergarten) attend another private school. Neither my fiancee nor my ex husband are happy with the educations the children are getting and we want to learn more about homeschool. My DD has asked to homeschool for a few years now and I think I'm finally in a place in my life where I can do it. My soon to be hubby is a large commercial farmer and his family has a Agri-cational exhibit set up on the farm called Liuzza Land in Amite, La. We are Catholic and are looking into Catholic based curriculum. DD will enter her first non Montessori based school this school year which makes me very sad. We will also use Montessori based teaching methods when they fit the child learning style. Any advice or resources are welcome!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! Here is a great ebook that you can read through...lots of good information about getting started with homeschooling:Welcome to Homeschooling Guide by Time4Learning

Also, please poke around our other forums as well, specifically the New to Homeschool and Homeschool Families. Those are good places to just meet and connect with other homeschoolers, and see how other families do things.

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to how things are going for you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

granmommy3 Guest

Cool hello from ponchatoula

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Hi there, and welcome! Here is a great ebook that you can read through...lots of good information about getting started with homeschooling:Welcome to Homeschooling Guide by Time4Learning

Also, please poke around our other forums as well, specifically the New to Homeschool and Homeschool Families. Those are good places to just meet and connect with other homeschoolers, and see how other families do things.

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to how things are going for you!
    hey there...im in ponchatoula and i understand.....we are doing the same thing....but i have been doing it for 3 years now.....hope it all works out for you.....
    granmommy3

granmommy3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

hey there
    my name is jane.....we live in ponchtoula....i know totally how you feel about the school system....i have my own issues....i have used time 4 learning before and loved it.....i plan to stay this time.....we all go through the stages of looking around and comparing....but i am here to stay this time......i have one in 4th, one in 5th and one in 1st......i think they will be doing just fine.....
    hope to talk soon....
    granmommy3

Hi my name is Debra

New to T4L and have kids in the 5 and 3rd, we live in Hammond and would love getting some advice on setting up the lesson plans. Both of the my kids passed by the skin of their teeth so we are planning on trying T4L as supplemental learning while they are in school. Any help greatly appreciated, just not sure where to start them on the lesson plans. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by granmommy3 View Post
    hey there
    my name is jane.....we live in ponchtoula....i know totally how you feel about the school system....i have my own issues....i have used time 4 learning before and loved it.....i plan to stay this time.....we all go through the stages of looking around and comparing....but i am here to stay this time......i have one in 4th, one in 5th and one in 1st......i think they will be doing just fine.....
    hope to talk soon....
    granmommy3

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMom View Post
    Hi my name is Debra

New to T4L and have kids in the 5 and 3rd, we live in Hammond and would love getting some advice on setting up the lesson plans. Both of the my kids passed by the skin of their teeth so we are planning on trying T4L as supplemental learning while they are in school. Any help greatly appreciated, just not sure where to start them on the lesson plans. Thanks
    How everyone uses T4L is different, but what *I* would do in your case, is start at the beginning of the grade level for each child that you are supplementing. Instead of doing every activity, have them start taking quizzes. If they pass the quiz with no problem, move to the next quiz. If they do not pass the quiz, then have them do the lessons/activities in that chapter. That way they aren't wasting time on what they already know, focusing only on what they are struggling with.

Hope that helped...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!