No clue in Livingston Parish
    SavyMom Guest

Default No clue in Livingston Parish

My daughter is in 4th grade and I have decided to home school her using T4L. I have an approval letter from DOE for Home Study. How do I withdraw her from her current public school? Do we need to take LEAP Test to advance to the next grade, if so, where do we go? Since T4L is not accredited, how to I prove her progress? Thanks!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi, part of the way you show her progress is to keep records! Time4Learning is great at keeping dated records of work done within T4L. You can keep similar records for anything you do outside of T4L, for example reading lists, art work, penmanship, foreign language, etc.

Keep in mind things may have changed since I pulled my daughter from LA public schools 7yrs ago. I simply printed a letter out stating that she was being withdrawn to private school (we used the registered nonpublic school option ) and asked for a copy of her records. This letter was then hand delivered to the school office. Since you already have your Home Study approval you could include a copy of that approval letter instead of saying she is going to a private school.

As for LEAP, Louisiana doesn't require LEAP from non-public schools but I am not sure about home study. The Louisiana Department of Education has "Office Hours" that you can register for online, or call their office if you have further questions.

One thing I would strongly suggest is to find a local support group. Homeschooling goes so much easier w/local support! Of course, we are here if you need us!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

R Smith is offline Junior Member Newbie

Info on your question and others can be found at

Frequent Questions

We, at CHEF of LA, graciously disagree with part of the advice given by MamaToHerRoo. Do not "hand deliver" the withdrawal letter. We have found that first-time homeschoolers are highly vulnerable to the pressures that school administrators put on them, and often give erroneous information that scare parents.

It is enough to mail the letter.

R Smith

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

R Smith,
    I did not recommend hand delivering, but that is how I did it. In fact, there are other posts around that explain that the ever so lovely office staff who had been most helpful the week before became really ugly and mean to me when I hand delivered! After re-reading, I realize that is what it looked like, but I have to agree that the face-to-face confrontation with the office staff at the school could have and should have been avoided by mailing. Thanks for allowing me to clarify.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: No clue in Livingston Parish

Quote Originally Posted by R Smith View Post
    Info on your question and others can be found at

Frequent Questions

We, at CHEF of LA, graciously disagree with part of the advice given by MamaToHerRoo. Do not "hand deliver" the withdrawal letter. We have found that first-time homeschoolers are highly vulnerable to the pressures that school administrators put on them, and often give erroneous information that scare parents.

It is enough to mail the letter.

R Smith
    THEY definately try to discourage you Mail it that will work include copy of home study approval