The "S" Word

Thread: The "S" Word

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default The "S" Word

Ever been questioned about the dreaded “S” word? ::insert the mock sincerity:: “How will you socialize your child, keeping them at home all day, never letting them see the light of day or other people, treating them like mushrooms?”

Main Entry: so·cial·iza·tion
    Variant(s): also British so·cial·isa·tion\ˌsōsh-(ə-)lə-ˈzā-shən\
    Function: noun
    : the process by which a human being beginning at infancy acquires the habits, beliefs, and accumulated knowledge of society through education and training for adult status

Source: Merriam-Webster OnLine Search

Ok….that being said, how many of you are NOT providing your children with socialization? :::looks around and sees NO hands raised::: That’s what I thought.
    Now I have to ask, how is sitting in a classroom all day, with a bunch of other kids the same age, and standing in lines, silently, for everything from food to using the bathroom socialization?
    Counting on my fingers, there were 8 “formal” instances of socialization for my child last week, that does not include informal things like Park Day or, dare I say it, the process of daily life. I’m probably going to be accused of being an angry homeschooling mom, but I think my method of socialization is better.

How do you handle socialization and why do you think your method works?

You have an opinion, I know you do, and I want to hear it really badly!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jess_m_80 is offline Junior Member

My question really is why is school a time for socialization? I thought it was a time for LEARNING? In fact is too many kids think that that. That is their problem. They socialize in school. Socialization should be kept to clubs, churches, other activites... Look at so many of the countries that top the list in academics. Their socialization is NOT in school but in after school clubs. School can be fun, but so many people think of school as a place to go be with friends not a place to get an education.
    Last edited by jess_m_80; 09-10-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Sooo very true! Besides, some of the socialization being done in school is something I would just as soon have my daughter avoid.

Have you ever heard the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child?" Well, I've seen that village, and I don't want them raising my child LOL!
    Linda

xinemae is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile

Ohhh that phrase, it makes my teeth clench almost every time I hear it. LOL I have the very same view on schools as y'all... it's a time for learning, not "socialization." As Roo said... some of the socialization in public schools I don't want my kiddo exposed to.

Our kiddo gets out and is active... he attends a weekly kid activity hour at one of the public libraries and he is enrolled in martial arts, which he chooses to attend for 7 hours a week. We go on field trips with other home school kiddos.

As home schooled children, I think they get more positive socialization than those not given the choice or opportunity to stay home.
    Life is too short not to have fun!
    Family Portraits
    www.NotYourAveragePhotos.com

Remember that quality choice socialization is better than bulk, inferior socialization. What I mean by that is, it is better to participate in something important to you, and other people who are doing the same thing for one hour, than it is to participate for 8 hours in some socialization activity that is not important to you. Good quality activities help feed your child's mind (classes, book clubs), body (martial arts class, biking with friends, nerf clubs), and soul (church, youth groups, service organizations, volunteering). Hanging out with other people with no purpose or direction is not really good quality socialization. Happy socialization!
    Linda