What next??

Thread: What next??

Kayann Guest

Default What next??

Ok so I have been considering home schooling for a while now and I think I am ready to start! My daughter is in Kindergarten in a public school. What do I do to get started? How and when do I pull her out of her school, and how and when do I get started with home schooling? There is only one week of school left before the 2 week holiday break, should I start the process now or wait until January? I understand something about mailing a letter to Baton Rouge, do I keep my daughter in her current school until I hear back from them, or do I pull her out of her school now and start the home schooling process after I hear back from them? Im so confused!! Thanks so much!!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I understand your confusion and the uncertainty you might be feeling. I too pulled my daughter out (of 1st) grade, at exactly this time of year 6 years ago.

I can tell you what I did, maybe it will help you. I notified the teacher on the last day before Christmas Break. Then beginning the week between Christmas and New Year, I sent the letter to the School board stating that my private school would begin on the date of the first day public school resumed school in January. I also took a letter to the school telling them that I was withdrawing my daughter to a private school (my own homeschool) and requesting her records.

The school was not happy, they were kind of ugly with me, and this is a common theme, they do not like being told that you are pulling your child from their school. So you might want to make sure you get a thick skin that day.

I got a copy of my private school letter back from the state with a time/date stamp. That is their way of acknowledging that your private school is functioning. It took a little longer for me to get an envelope from the school containing my daughters records.

I never had any problems with the state, school, or school board in the 5 years I homeschooled in Louisiana.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to answer any questions you might have. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!