What is your pet peeve about homeschooling in Louisiana?
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default What is your pet peeve about homeschooling in Louisiana?

Praise is good. Sometimes though, it is necessary to go ahead and vent those gripes. Sometimes it is just cleansing, sometimes it actually lets others know of a problem in the system that others were not aware of. Sometimes it just helps to know you are not alone.
    That being said, I am asking that you tell us what you dislike most about homeschooling in Louisiana?
    I will tell you that the thing that gripes me most about homeschooling in Louisiana is the fact that homeschool students are not eligible for T.O.P.S (college scholarships, state funded). Our students are at least as well educated as public school students, yet cannot get state assistance to go to college.
    Ohh, and my other gripe is related. Did you know that homeschool students must score 2 points higher than public school students on the ACT composite to be accepted to LSU?
    Well, those are my two main problems, care to add your own? Please chime in!

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

misschrys is offline Junior Member

I knew about the TOPS. I DID NOT know about LSU. How weird. Makes me learn even more towards letting my children do College online, too. I mean, I do, why can't they?

Did you know that K12.com has tuition free virtual publics schools in many states? My peeve? No vritual school in Louisiana yet. So, I have to buy the materials and pay a monthly fee. And I don't even get teacher support. I pay for it, but get less than the people who dont pay for it do. That's my pet peeve today.
    Last edited by misschrys; 02-16-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    They say that we are better educated than our parents' generation. What they mean is that we go to school longer. They are not the same thing.
    ~Douglas Yates

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

It may not be as much K12's fault as it may be Louisiana's fault that K12 doesn't have a free virtual school here. Louisiana is weird about so many things in life it could be that they will not approve the K12 curriculum or something like that. How old are you students? Did you know that if you put them in the state supervised program (the ILE) instead of the private school thing for 10-12 grade they might have TOPS available to them? Anyway, glad you chimed in. Thanks.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!