Are you legal?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you legal?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Are you legal?

Are you legally homeschooling in Louisiana?

I just wanted to gently prod you to remember to make your decisions to homeschool legal with the state of Louisiana.
    If your child is 7-18 (or graduation) then you need to register with the state by one of two methods.

Option 1: Home School Statute.
    Parents need to apply for home study program through the Board of Education. This process does require some oversight by the Board of Education, but it does allow your student to be eligible for TOPS. The initial application requires a certified copy of the student’s birth certificate.
    Deadline for renewals under this option is October 1st.

Option2: The home based private school
    Parents send a letter to the Department of Education with the name of their “private school, not applying for approval”, the total number of students enrolled, and the the assertion that your school will operate for 180 days. This letter should be sent by the “3oth day of enrollment” in the private school.

If your child attended public school last year, you will additionally need to send a letter to that school within 10 days of enrollment in the private school. This letter needs to include the student’s name, DOB, gender and race.

I hope this helps to clear up any questions you have regarding how to get legal with the state of Louisiana. The homeschooling section of the Department of Education is down for maintenance so it is hard to look this information up.
    Happy Educating,
    Linda
    Time4Learning State Representative
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Amaradevinmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Are you legal?

We withdrew our son by going into the school and filling out paperwork. Do I need to also send a letter to them? I have sent my letter to the state already.

Hi,
    You must send a letter to the department of education AND the school attended for part or all of the previous or current school year. My understanding is that they are going to be looking for that child if he/she is not registered in school. The letter simply means that you are verifying that the child will NOT be registered in their school and has moved on to a different school (private school, homeschool.). Even if you aleady took care of paperwork when you pulled the child, it helps keep you below the radar to make sure all your bases are covered. Better safe than harrassed.
    I know that the Louisiana Board of Education website has been down for maintainence and this makes it difficult to verify that you are following all of their requirements. One place you might find additional information about the legalities of homeschooling in Louisiana is the Homeschool Legal Defense people. (Search through your browser.)
    I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any further questions. I will answer or try to find the answer.
    Linda

my3boysmccrea is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi my name is Robin. We just moved here from FL and my boys started school this yr in their new school. My oldest son has learning issues and im not happy with the way his school is dealing with them and I would like to homeschool him. I see there are 2 different way to go about doing this. My main question is, is the better way to go the "private" school way and if so can I do it with just one child? Also is it to late to pull him out and start homeschooling him for this school year?

Thanks
    Robin

Amaradevinmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Robin,
    I'm new to homeschooling this year and I think the private school way is better as you have much less state interaction that way. No testing or having to tell them what your curriculum is. It is not to late to start, you can start whenever you want. Where did you move to?

We are in Frierson which is just outside of Shreveport. We moved from Jacksonville Florida out here to the country and my boys LOVE it. Im not to keen o nthe school system and teachers in my oldest ones school. They know he has issues and I brought them a copy of his IEP from his old school but they arent following threw with it or doing a new one for him. I did however meet with the lady who does IEP's and she told me that once I medicate my son they will look into helping him more. I looked her and said EXCUSE ME I will NOT medicate him for you benifit and why should I medicate him for yall to help him? Hes ADHD/Bipolar/high anxity.. I understand he can be hyper but he is vary calm in the class and has always had an A in conduct. Anyway sorry went on a rant there. If there is anyone in my area or close by I would like to meet.
    Thanks Robin

Robin,
    This is just my humble opinion, but the private school method of homeschooling in Louisiana is the best. The reason I say that was already posted by another, but let me underscore that...LESS interaction with the State of Louisiana. Until you child gets to 9th grade and you are looking at possible TOPS for college then you need to do something else. As of now the private school homeschooling method does not produce eligability for TOPS.
    Happy Homeschooling...

Linda
    T4L State Rep and Louisiana Board moderator
    Linda

Robin,
    One other thing. We never mind rants here. We are here to support each other and if you can't rant to us who can you rant to?! Some of us are not "life long dream homeschoolers" but more of the "nothing else is working, what have I got to loose homeschoolers". I personally pulled my child from public school because I got tired of spending more time up at school getting things figured out, and being an advocate for my child than it would take to educate her myself. I didn't WANT to homeschool, I HAD to homeschool. Every day I am grateful that I have this opportunity. LAPS (life after public school) is so much calmer and so much less stressful for the entire household.
    I understand your issues with the school system regarding the "medicate and we can help" mentality that seems to be so rampant these days. While we did eventually decide to medicate, I didn't want anyone to tell me I had to, that was a decision for my family, and my pediatritian to work through and did not call for input from the school system.
    I wish you the best in this venture and hope you will stay with us and post often.

Linda
    La State Rep and board moderator
    Linda

Ok so as of this Friday my son WILL be taken out of public school. Todays e mail from his reading teacher put the final uff in me to do homeschooling. My son was held back in 2nd grade when we were in Florida because his reading level wasnt up to par. So for 2 years he had the best teacher anyone could ever have. This teacher did wonders with my son and got him from a K level to a high 2nd grade reading level by the end of last yr. Well I get an e mail today him my sons 3rd grade reading teacher telling me hes on a K- lower level 1st grade reading level..WHATTTTTTTT.. I dont think so. So as of this Friday I will be a full time home schooling mom.

besides this program is there anything more i need to do with my son and if so canyou point me in the right direction please.

thanks

Robin,
    I had a long response typed out and my power went out, ugghh. Let me try again...
    First off, take a deep breath...this is going to be a wonderful ride! (ok, sometimes terrifying, frustrating, etc. but let's concentrate on the positive for a moment!) Time4Learning is a pretty inclusive curriculum, particularly at the grade your child is in. You can certainly use it as the core curriculum, without suppliment. I have found that there is more information presented on T4L than is presented in a year of public school in Louisiana so you probably don't have to worry about that. However, you might want to suppliment some books on his favorite subjects to at least get him interested in reading. You might try audio books also, if you haven't before. I think most of us suppliment because we are aiming for the best education possible and there just seems to be more time to do more, not because T4L is short on instructional material.
    Make sure when the pull from public school is official you need to get the letter in the the Louisiana Board of Education and the letter to the school you are pulling him from in as soon as possible. This will avoid the letter from them that states he has missed too many days of school and requesting the conference to advise you about the missed days. You don't need that stress.
    Finally, you may or may not experience this with your child...You may have to spend some time "deprogramming" him from public school. You might hear things like, "We can't do math at 9am, we don't do math until after lunch!" Or, "We can't do science until after Christmas," because that is how it would have been done in school. I've heard that it takes about a month per year of public school attended to get through the deprogramming and transitional period, so you might have to be patient for a couple of months, until everyone in the family gets used to the feeling of homeschooling. Hope this helped. If there is anything else we can do, or if anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to write.
    Good luck,
    Linda
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast