Before I join

Thread: Before I join

Unregistered Guest

Default Before I join

Hello. I need to ask some questions before we decide to start using this. I have three children that we plan to homeschool. If we decide to use this program do I need to supplement with anything else to fulfill Maine homeschooling laws? Thanks.
    Sharon LeClair
    email [email protected]

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Maine law says, "Option 1: English and language arts, math, science, social studies, physical and health education, library skills, fine arts, Maine studies (in one grade between grades 6 and 12), and computer proficiency (in one grade between grades 7 and 12). MRSA tit. 20-A, §5001-A, sub-§3A.(4)(a)(iv).
    Option 2: English (reading, writing, spelling, grammar), math, science, American history, Maine history and geography, and government (including the privilege and responsibility of citizenship)." I think time4learning meets all of the requirements in Option one except maybe Library Skills. You could certainly get that by going to the public library. For Option 2 you would probably need to add Maine history and government. Maybe you could join a coop that teaches this subject. Remember though I am not a lawyer, just a mom giving my opinion.

We are in our fourth year of using time4learning and we love it. We do supplement with lots of field trips but we do them mostly because they are so much fun.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Thank you.:)

Thank you. We probably will use it. Are you from Maine? How do you do the portfolios? First time doing this. Thanks.
    Sharon

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I'm not in Maine but I am the moderator of this forum. I have spent a lot of time learning about Maine homeschool laws and support groups. Why don't I post a thread about the portfolio and see what kind of response we get?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota