Classes to be held in South Portland for homeschoolers
    Unregistered Guest

Cool Classes to be held in South Portland for homeschoolers

Hi all -- My name is Lauren Norster, and I have been teaching in a variety of educational settings for the past 12 years and have earned my degree in Elementary Education and Spanish. I have been working with homeschooled families for the past 3 years, and this year, in addition to working one-on-one with families, am offering a few classes that I wanted to share with you.

Stay safe in this storm!
    Lauren Norster
    bloom

Adventures in Writing (Fridays from 1:30-2:30): Taught by educator Lauren Norster, this class is geared toward new writers ages 8-12 who are looking to become inspired in the broad craft of creative writing. Students will gain confidence in their writing abilities while also boosting their creativity. Using an integrated approach, grammar, spelling, and punctuation will be addressed while students discover their own individual writing style. A creative writer herself, Lauren was the president of her college's Literary Magazine and was the host and organizer of a weekly poetry reading group on campus. Since then, she has worked with readers and writers of all levels, and writes her daily musings on food at the spiced plate Class runs from 9/23 through 12/16, with a free introductory class on 9/16.
    Cost: $250. Location: 864 Broadway in South Portland. Email [email protected] or visit bloom for more information.

Mocking the Masters: Interactive Art History (Fridays from 3:00-4:15): Taught by artist and educator Lauren Norster, this class is for artists ages 8-12. Students will learn about the prolific Picasso, the wacky Warhol, the surreal Salvador, and many more artists through story, discussion, and their own creative expression. Each class the students will bring home their own unique piece of art. Students will expand their creativity, glean inspiration, and gain confidence as an artist while also gaining knowledge about art history. Materials such as watercolors, pen and ink, and collage will be used, with plenty of room for experimentation. Lauren Norster has had her art displayed in Portland and around New England, including being included in two "Best 30 artists under 30 in New England" shows in both RI and Belfast, ME. Class runs from 9/23 through 12/16. Cost: $275. Location: 864 Broadway in South Portland. Email [email protected] or visit bloom for more information.

Spunky Spanish (Wednesdays from 4:15-5:15): Students ages 8-12 will learn Spanish in an integrated way using song, conversation, art, and culture. With a focus on real-life activities, such as games, music, and creative exploration, we will flourish with vocabulary and sentence structure in an organic way. This class is appropriate for those with no to little Spanish exposure or for those who want to continue their learning of the language. Lauren Norster earned her degree in Elementary Education and Spanish from Roger Williams University, and studied abroad in Granada for four months. Class runs from 9/21 through 12/14. Cost: $250. Location: 864 Broadway in South Portland. Email [email protected] or visit bloom for more information.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like some interesting classes. I hope some of the families in your area will be able to participate.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota