cursive writing

Thread: cursive writing

kellismith41 is offline Junior Member

Default cursive writing

At what grade do you teach Cursive handwriting? If at all? ...I've done some research on it ..and I'm seeing alot of parents do it a 2nd grade,But I'm also seeing alot of parents don't think it necessary to teach..So now im confused...Thank you Kelli
    Kelli & Jeff & Jeffrey

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

my question is, why is it not necessary to teach cursive? when a person applies for a job, a loan, you name it .....that requires a signature dont they sign it in cursive?
    my daughter practiced handwriting in cursive last year (second grade) and now can write not perfectly but readable.
    Last edited by Skool Time; 08-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.

kellismith41 is offline Junior Member

Thank you...I agree with you on they should learn it...I will be doing it this year with my son
    Kelli & Jeff & Jeffrey

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I've heard so many different theories about cursive writing. Many people say that they don't teach it at all any more. The feeling is that so many people use computers and texting for everything any more so cursive writing is not really needed. Others say third or fourth grade. My son is in fourth grade. He hates writing so much that I have not tried teaching cursive yet. I would like him to learn it like you said for job applications and such as that. I also think it is important to be able to read cursive writing. We have been using Handwriting Without Tears to help improve printing skills. Unfortunately doing more than a page or half a page at a time still brings tears for my son. He really really hates to write anything.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

Thats right, we are in computer world now why learn how to write cursive.
    But eventhough we are in computer world, i still have to sign legal documents in print and in cursive.
    It seems to me handwriting without tears is actually handwriting with tears.. lol kiddin..
    i started my daughter writing the alphabet one letter at a time. i dont have any workbook but free worksheets online.
    she did not do it everyday, just one day a week. and not even half a page. i made her trace a letter 4 times or sometimes 3, then she will write it on her own without tracing lines.
    . My daughter doesnt like writing too.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I so agree. Tears and tears and more tears. My son acts like you're killing him if he has to write anything. Even signing his name to a birthday card is more work than he wants to do. I will probably introduce some cursive writing if we ever finish this workbook. But I'm not all that worried about it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota