maine laws questions
    Unregistered Guest

Default maine laws questions

I have re-read the Maine homeschooling laws several times but I am not sure I fully understand. In the notice of intent we need a "statement of assurance that the parents will submit a year-end assessment" and at the end of each year to send a year end assessment. Is this required or suggested? If it is required, how do I do a year end assessment? My daughter starts K in the fall, I have never homeschooled before so I am pretty clueless, but I am trying to learn. It says to "see “Standardized Tests” below" after talking about the assessment so I scroll down and it almosts looks like it only applies to option 2, which is a non approved private school. I am so confused, can you clarify?

It also says to be in attendence for 175 days and lists the subjects required. Do I need verify I am following this with them each year?

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Maine.pdf

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You could do standardized testing by locating someone who would administer the test to your child. However I think most homeschoolers go the route of "(a) a Maine certified teacher; (b) a homeschool support group that includes for this purpose a Maine certified teacher or administrator who has reviewed a portfolio of the student’s work." A local homeschool support group should have names of teachers or individuals who will help with this assessment. From the way I read the law it is required, but only after your child turns 7 years old. You may find this version of the law easier to read and understand. A list of some of the local Maine support groups can be found in this post.

Good luck in your journey. We are in our fifth year of homeschooling and loving every minute of it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

okay, thanks. so i actually don't have to do a portfolio or assessment until 3rd grade? technically, nothing has to be reported until the age of 7 so then K -2nd grade i don't have do portfolios unless i wish to keep one? also until this age i don't have keep attendence and all things they listed. by 3rd grade i should definitly know the ropes and have it mostly figured out. thanks for the other links, i will check them out.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It wouldn't hurt to just get in the habit of keeping those records. That way you will have established a pattern already. Definitely check with others in your area.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota