1. puda74 - 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
    Hello, my name is Frank.

My child suffers from anxiety and other mental barriers keeping her from having postive public school experience. Reading through your site it seems to be the perfect balance of the fun school should be while learning. I am glad i found this site before drowning in the Home school information.

Best regard.
  2. mamaneedham - 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
    Hi Frank,
    We all come here for different reasons, but I'm sure you're not alone in your situation. I hope you'll enjoy the parents' site and that your daughter will love the academics here. We've been using T4L for 4 years now and my kids still enjoy it! Please feel free to ask questions.
    Welcome to T4L!!!
  3. rumbledolly - 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
    Hello! Just started homeschooling my 6th grader after growing tired of bullying and other issues at school which were not being addressed. While I do not dislike PS I feel it's time for a change for my child.

Have a very strong foundation with Compass Learning as I've been a substitute teacher and volunteer for quite a few years. Am excited to find this group and hope someone else is in my area (York & Cumberland Counties).

It's quite a new adventure and a little scary too. My homeschooler said to me today..."great it's snowing, let me quess, no snow days for HS'ers". My husband who is home today said she could do school work or help with the driveway plowing. She chose school work and this afternoon trying to photograph snowflakes on black paper for science/art!

I am finding, so far, we're getting our work done quite quickly. She's having trouble with the concept that finishing early is great but that doesn't mean more TV, Video game, or internet time. Anyone else have that issue?

Take care everyone. Drive careful should you venture out today. It's blowing quite hard here!
  4. mamaneedham - 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
    Welcome to T4L, Rumbledolly!

My kids have been using the software for 4 years now, and sometimes they even work through the snow days like your daughter did. I loved your science/art project with the snowflakes! Have you ever heard of Snowflake Bentley? It may be a little young-ish for a 6th grader, but it's a fantastic book, and she may enjoy it. It's the true story of a young man determined to look at snowflakes under a microscope. I believe the story goes that he had to catch them on black paper so they'd show up.

With weather like this, it's a good day to be a homeschooler! Just let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Glad to have you here!
  5. rumbledolly - 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
    I have heard of Snowflake Bentley! I'll have to check it out of the library - I know she'd enjoy it. This has been a good week for working through the snow. I keep teasing all my friends who are teachers that we'll be sunning on a lovely warm beach while they are still stuck in school if this continues! Our snowflakes came out 'ok'. She wants to try again. I believe she tried to pull in too tight on the flakes, forgetting that I had set the camera on macro so she didn't need to.

Thanks for the welcome!
  6. Debby Reagan - 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
    Hi. My name is Debby Reagan and I'm from Sanford. I am starting my grand daughter (I'm her guardian) with T4L and will be adding the Robinson Home School curriculum right after Christmas. We are excited about this and I'd love to reach out to others in my area for events, play dates, etc. I also will appreciate any and all tips, advice and instruction from others who have been at this awhile so it will be a smooth and pleasant experience.
  7. mamaneedham - 12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
    Hi Debby,
    WELCOME to Time4Learning! Try this Member Locator tool to search for other T4L members who live in your part of Maine, and please post if you have any other questions! Glad to have you here!

Member List - Search - Parent Community and Forum
  8. Debby Reagan - 12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
    TYVM Mama and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
  9. lillh - 10-19-2010, 08:12 AM

My daughter is working on her first lessons with T4L and likes it so far. We're unschoolers, but she wanted more structure this year. I'm surprised that there aren't more members from Maine or are they still lurking?

If so are there any secular home schoolers from the Central Maine area?
  10. mamaneedham - 10-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Hi there - WELCOME to T4L! I'm not from the same art of Maine as you, and you're right, there aren't a whole lot of Maine members here yet. Hopefully more will join us! My family also unschools but uses T4L too, so you're not alone there. Glad to have you here - please let me know if you or your daughter have any problems or questions!
  11. kellismith41 - 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM
    Hello, My name is Kelli, Im new here also, started my step son here, about two weeks ago..We love it ....Im in Piscataquis county (are you near or around)..im also supprised that there are not more on here, but im spreading the word in my area ..Hope to hear back from you..and hope you and your child enjoy this as much as we do
  12. lillh - 10-20-2010, 08:07 AM
    We're in Penobscot County. I love unschooling because I learn as much as my daughter does. T4L fits her learning style and works for me, because I'm a freelance writer. I can work at home and be available if she needs me, but not be looking over her shoulder every minute.
  13. kellismith41 - 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM
    I have noticed the same thing..i keep finding myself saying,,hummm i didn't know that..lol
  14. mamaneedham - 10-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Hey, this Maine group is coming to life - I love it!
    Keep us posted on how your kids do with T4L, please! Have you run into any problems or is it all smooth sailing?
  15. kellismith41 - 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM

I have a concern......My son does the work every day (I did the figuring of how many lessons he should do for each day for each subject) ..and we also do art,music,gym,once a week.....But it doesn't seem to be enough....its done in a couple hours and his school day use to last 8am to 2pm...ours is shorter then that...how am i to know if he is getting all he needs? ...i hope you understand all that ....also is there any place i can get like a quiz or test that is one they do at end of yr in school to test the children for the grade?...Thank You Kelli
  16. lillh - 10-29-2010, 06:22 AM

My daughter does the lessons in an hour and a half to two hours too, Kelli. However, we also supplement what she does on T4L just like we'd supplement if she went to school. She's reading "A Young People's History of the United States" to get additional insights into social studies. We both "compete" at math games on other online sites like IXL. We watch the news and talk about current events and she plays the games that benefit charity at FreeRice.com and Care2.com.

I don't know where you live in Maine, but Tony Sohns aka The Bug Guy does science workshops in Orono and I think at the Old Town Library. We also try to get outside as much as possible, before winter snows us in. One thing I like about home schooling is that there's more time for kids to relax and do what they like.

Remember, it takes a lot longer to teach in school, so 2 or 3 hours at home with no interruptions is about the same as 4-6 hours at school, I'd say. I'm sorry that I can't help with the assessment part. We use the portfolio approach to reviews and I've never worried about whether my daughter is on track with what the schools are doing as long as she's learning and progressing. One nice thing about T4L is that it's in line with state standards, so if your son is doing the work for his grade level, he should be okay, I would think, as far as working up to those standards.

Lill
  17. kellismith41 - 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
    Thank you so much, That helps me alot ...I am in Brownville
  18. dawncrowe - 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Hi! I've just joined and live in Lovell, ME. We decided to home school our 7th grade daughter since she has been so miserable at the middle school that she actually has been making herself sick. Today is the first day of using T4L, seems like it will be a good program for her. I'm hoping to get us hooked up to some local groups in the area, any ideas for us are greatly appreciated. Thanks! ~Dawn