Personalized Achievement Summary System A.K.A The PASS test.
    Unregistered Guest

Default Personalized Achievement Summary System A.K.A The PASS test.

My children now 9, and 10 took this test in N.H. Last year. The state accepted it for our end of year assessment. When I moved to Maine I was told by someone from the superintendents office that my boys cant test at the end of their first homeschool year in Maine. I liked the PASS test because it is untimed, an could be administered by a parent. Has anyone used this in Maine, and is it true about having to do a portfolio review your first homeschool year in Maine? Any help is greatly appreciated.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to homeschooling in Maine. There are many ways in which you can meet the requirement for academic progress. I have copied this from the law:

"i. a standardized achievement test; orii. a test developed by the school officials of the administrative unit in which the student resides; or
    iii. a review and acceptance of the student's progress by an identified individual who holds a current Maine teacher's certificate; or
    iv. a review and acceptance of the student's progress based on, but not limited to, a presentation of an educational portfolio of the student to a local area homeschooling support group whose membership for this purpose includes a currently certified Maine teach or administrator; or
    v. a review and acceptance of the student's progress by a local advisory board selected by the superintendent of the administrative unit in which the student resides."

As you can see there is no mention of a portfolio being the only acceptable method of testing progress during the first year. I would take a copy of the law to the person who gave you this information and ask them to show you where this requirement is addressed. Then I would use the test you like. I am not an attorney but just a mom who has been at this for a while.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota