standardized achievement testing
    mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default standardized achievement testing

Jess.207 - 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM
    I was hoping someone could direct me to where or how I aquire a standardized acievement test? I have been using the portfolio evaluation process but am looking to do both,,,just to cover all my bases since I get alot of flack about homeschooling!!!

mamaneedham - 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM
    Hi Jess -
    Someone else recently asked this question. I'll copy it below for you.

1. kellismith41 - 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
      ......My son does the work every day (I did the figuring of how many lessons he should do for each day for each subject) ..and we also do art,music,gym,once a week.....But it doesn't seem to be enough....its done in a couple hours and his school day use to last 8am to 2pm...ours is shorter then that...how am i to know if he is getting all he needs? ...i hope you understand all that ....also is there any place i can get like a quiz or test that is one they do at end of yr in school to test the children for the grade?...Thank You Kelli
    2. mamaneedham - 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
      There's a lot of dead time spent in school that you won't have at home. I'm talking about things like recess, and then 10 minutes or whatever spent calming everyone down to get some work done again after recess, having everyone line up to walk to the library, and even waiting for everyone in class to get to the same point in the assignment so the teacher can move on. Lots of delays and wasted time. I don't think a shorter school day at home is a problem in and of itself, as long as you're happy with the amount of material your child covers in a day.

There are online sources where parents can buy standardized tests to administer to their children. Sometimes the schools (esp. private schools) will allow homeschoolers to test along with the schoolkids if you pay for the test yourself. If this is important to you, try calling some of the nearby schools. It can't hurt to ask! I'll look around and see if I can find you some links to online sources too.
    3. kellismith41 - 10-30-2010, 05:35 PM
      Thank you Very much
    4. mamaneedham - 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM
      Kelli -
      Check out this link for the California Achievement Test. (can be used in any state) I think this sounds like what you're looking for. Let me know!

https://www.familylearning.org/tests_cat.php
    5. kellismith41 - 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
      I looked at the web site, and it is just what i wanted...Thank you Very much
    6. mamaneedham - 11-02-2010, 10:40 PM
      You're welcome!!!

Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

puda74 is offline Junior Member

Is the website linked California Achievement Test legal for the yearly state of Maine standardized testing?
    I was under the impression i had to use an actual Maine certified teacher for the testing.
    Have i been misinformed?

Just my opinion here, but I think the certified teacher is for the portfolio review. If you choose to do standardized testing instead, the test you must use isn't specified, just that your local school authorities must approve of it. Here's a link to the state law about homeschooling, so you can interpret it yourself. Great question! If you're able to get a final answer from someone in authority, please let us know!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

puda74 is offline Junior Member

The reply i got back from USDoE was very vague. "The No Child Left Behind act of 2001 requires Assessment tests to pass USDoE restrictions."

Maine does not start standardized testing until grade level 3.

Maine and Washington both have approved standardized testing.

I will have to contact my local school superintendent to get a more concise answer.

I don't think the federal Dept of Ed is where you need to ask. Try the Maine Dept of Ed, or like you mentioned, your local school superintendent. Please let us know!