APG Family

Thread: APG Family

Unregistered Guest

Default APG Family

Good afternoon everyone,
    We are a Military Family moving to Aberdeen MD in the next couple weeks, we homeschool our children and use an umbrella school; but are looking for other homeschool families in the area!

Sincerely,

MilMom

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

You might also want to post in the Military Families section of this forum.

Here is some information from other families who are using Time4Learning to homeschool while in the military.

I'm not in your area, but hopefully this information will help until someone from your area pops in.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome, MilMom! I'm not in your area but wanted to welcome you to Time4Learning!

Thirds06 Guest

Default Accreditation

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,
    We are a Military Family moving to Aberdeen MD in the next couple weeks, we homeschool our children and use an umbrella school; but are looking for other homeschool families in the area!

Sincerely,

MilMom
    Hello! We are a military family as well living in Edgewood Md. This will be our first time homeschooling and will only be doing so for the 16/17 school year. As much as I have tried to read I still do not have definitive information on wether or not this program is accredited to use.

Do you have any helpful information?

Also what is an umbrella school?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. A school can be accredited. A curriculum can't. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. People often refer to accredited online schools as "homeschooling", but they don't meet the legal definition.

In homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and directs the student's education. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. Each state has different homeschool laws, and they are all very different. Homeschool laws tend to be designed to make sure your student is actually learning, and not to dictate how you must teach. No state requires that you use any certain curriculum, or prohibits you from using the curriculum you want to use.

In an online school, a third party directs the student's education. The third party is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the third party's state. The school will choose the curriculum and tell you how to use it.

Some states have an umbrella school option. These arrangements vary greatly. An umbrella school usually just looks at what you have chosen to do and provides advice, but they sometimes have their own curriculum.

I hope this helps answer your questions about accreditation!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!