Claim out of state residency?

Question Claim out of state residency?

Hi there! We are living on Ft. Meade, MD, and want to homeschool our kids. As military, we have permanent residency in Texas! Texas is VERY laid back on homeschool curriculum. Do we have the option of using our state residence in terms of homeschool procedure? Or are we stuck using Maryland's requirements?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hello!
    I've never been asked that question before! I don't have an answer for you either...
    Except to say that you might need to check with the Military family forum. They are a support group for military families within Time4Learning. Surely someone over there has run into this particular problem before and can help you get the right answer to this.
    I would think that if your legal residence is in Texas then you are just "visiting" Maryland and should be governed by the laws of Texas which is a good thing since Texas is so hands off about homeschooling.
    If you get a better answer would you share it with us? Good luck!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 10-31-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Out of state resident but living in MD home school

I just today got called by the local school system in Maryland and they sent a person to my father in laws house saying I had a child living there that was reported as not being in school. I explained that we are residents of North Carolina and where only in Maryland to care for my mother in law who is currently dying of lung cancer. We came in the summer and are still here I explained, but she is not expected to survive past a few weeks. I said that I was in full compliance with NC home school laws and after many tears and much anger on my part, I was told it did not matter if I was here with my child for even one day, I had to register with the local school system and follow their rules, which are more than in Texas for sure. She made it sound like it was no big deal but it is to me and my family who is going through a difficult time. It may be different for military families but from all she told me I would bet it isn't and you will have to register. Someone might stick their nose in your business and call the school system on you like they did my family. So, I would recommend finding out for sure. Good Luck.

Unregistered Guest

Default an addition to my post from earlier

Sorry I am posted as unregistered, I intend to sign up for Time4Learning for my child tomorrow and will then sign on this forum with my name etc. I wanted to give this additional information to the person asking the question above, as I have been researching this all day and I think this should be very helpful. I found this information on the HSLDA site.

"What State’s Laws Should I Follow?

The law you should follow is that of the state in which you are physically present.

Why? When you are physically present in a state, even temporarily, you are subject to that state’s laws, and, in many cases, to the jurisdiction of its courts. This is true even if your legal residency is in another state and you are only living elsewhere temporarily (such as when active members of the military are completing a temporary assignment). Consequently, you could be required to comply with the home education law of the state in which you are temporarily located.

If you plan to live in another state for a period longer than a month during the time that public schools are in session, HSLDA generally recommends that you comply with the requirements for home education in that state. This general recommendation applies even if you and/or your spouse pays taxes, own property, and/or have employment in another state.

HSLDA members should call our Legal Department for specific advice about how state home education laws apply in their particular situations. "
    Here is the direct page link:
    HSLDA | Home School Laws

---Mrs. Drabczyk (Maryland)

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for your input on this. I'm sorry that you have had such a time of it with your mother-in-law's illness. I wish your family peace in this.

As for the school, I think it is unreasonable for the Maryland school board to stick their noses in this. You obviously are visiting, with an end to that temporary situation resolving in the near future, and you maintain a permanent residence in another state. I'm sorry you had such an issue here. It is always upsetting to have them visiting your house and telling you that you are not in compliance.

I really appreciate your information from HSLDA and I think, based on that information, that the military family should homeschool according to the laws of the state they are in, not the state that they maintain permanent residency in.

Great information, and thanks for your help. I wish your family comfort in this trying time.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!