Help with Completing Weekly Assignments
    janelle80 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help with Completing Weekly Assignments

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone can assist me with planning my schedule so that I can get all required Math assignments completed for my daughter? Each week I have noticed there are 23 assignments to complete for Math but there are maybe 7 or less assignments for every other subject. Is there a away to possibly complete 23 assignments in one week on a Monday through Friday and now maybe Saturday schedule? If someone could please assist I would grealt appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know of any homeschooling groups in Hagerstown or the surronding area?

Thank you,

Janelle

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Janelle,
    Welcome. What grade is your child in?

Mine is in 6th/7th grade, and I know what you mean about so many lessons in math. We have used T4L for almost 6 years now, and I've figured out a couple of things that work for my daughter.

We don't do the chapter in math called Practice unless my daughter needs extra help on a certain math topic. That cuts down on a lot of extra math assignments.

Then, I take the total number of lessons, learning activities, quizzes, and chapter tests for a grade level for a year, and add them together for all subjects. Then I decide how many weeks we are going to have (we school year round, taking a couple of weeks off at Christmas, one at Easter, one at Thanksgiving, and the week of my daughter's birthday off) then divide the number of total assignments across all subjects by the number of weeks.

This might give me something like my daughter needing to do 20-21 lessons, learning activities, quizzes and chapter tests per week.
    The rule at our house most weeks is, give me 20-21 with an 80 or better average and I don't care what subject she does the activities in.
    Some weeks all she does is math, some weeks only science, some weeks it is social studies and language arts.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure how others manage it. Maybe someone else will chime in with how it works at their house.

I don't know if this will help, but feel free to ask any questions you might have.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

janelle80 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Linda,
    Thank you very much for getting back to me. My daughter is in 6/7th grade as well and as you mentioned, there are some weeks where she does nothing but one subject. I think we are kind of on the same path as far as the schedule but I may have to add weekends just to ensure she completes the assignments. Also, when you refer to the practice part of Math, are talking about worksheets? If so, I have my daughter complete those because I just want to be able to show proof that she is doing something via paper when I present my portfolio to the board of education whenever that meeting comes up.
    I thank you for your feedback and wish you continued success!

Janelle

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Janelle,
    Thanks for the well wishes, same to you!
    When I speak of the practice section, it is the last chapter in math. There are many, many problems in that chapter, but we don't do the whole chapter, we only do the sections she needs extra practice on. The worksheets are "resources" and we do some of those, but usually we do them on themes she has difficulty with.
    I wouldn't add weekends unless you add a weekend so that you can take days off during the week. I think the children need the time off to recharge their brains. This is, of course, up to you and your child. I just read another mom who is having problems with the school board because her son requested to go straight through 180 day, no breaks because he wants to start college early, and the school board had a cow because he had not been "allowed" days off. (remember it was his request to work straight through!)
    Truely, the reason we homeschool year round is to assure that my daughter finishes the entire curriculum. Just remember that there is more information in the presented curriculum than your child would normally be exposed to in a typical public school year. Homeschooling year round also allows us to do field trips, participate in extra-curriculular activities, take breaks when we need to, or want to. Additionally,we do not have a long period of review at the beginning of a school year beacuse we don't have summer brain rot from idleness.
    Keep us updated!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!