How to I homeschool my 10 year old adhd child while working outside my home.
    Unregistered Guest

Default How to I homeschool my 10 year old adhd child while working outside my home.

I want to homeschool my child but I am single parent with a full time job, anybody out there with same situation, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have an 11 (almost 12) year old with ADHD, and the ADHD was one of the primary reasons we began our homeschooling journey more than 5 years ago. Fortunately, both adults at our house are now working from home, and that means homeschooling is easy for us. Homeschooling for you might not be so easy, but it is do-able. First, I will direct you to the Working Parents forum. This is a forum within Time4Learning that might have suggestions for you.

Remember that homeschooling does not have to take place 8am to 3pm daily. Homeschool can take place around your work schedule. Probably the most important thing is finding a friend, relative, or day care that can keep an eye on your child while you are at work. You probably have a support system in place like that already, so see if they can be adaptive. You might also look online for a homeschool group in your area. Sometimes homeschooling parents can help each other out if they work different hours. You didn't say where you worked and whether or not your work schedule is flexible or maybe allows telecommuting, or virtual office. I understand that as a single parent keeping your job secure is of high importance in these difficult times.

Check out the working parent forum, look for homeschool groups in your area, and while you are doing that, consider what benefits homeschooling your child will give your child. It can be done, it will just require more work on your part. If you have specific questions about homeschooling please feel free to ask, we are here to help if we can, and be a sounding board if you just need a place to talk.
    Good Luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

judesma Guest

Default how a single working mother can homeschool

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I want to homeschool my child but I am single parent with a full time job, anybody out there with same situation, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    I would like to know whether a few parents can teach (for instance, 5 parents and 5 children) on separate days so that the children can be "schooled" and in the care of a parent each day. An example would be a parent who is a teacher in her own art/writing studio and could have all 5 children one day a week, having her child taught other subjects and cared for on the other days.
    Does this seem like a possibility?
    I am searching for such a group in Seattle.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

It is possible to run a group like this, maybe the original Charter schools were along these lines. You have to be careful, in some states it would not be considered legal, particularly if the state indicates that "x number of hours of schooling must occur in the home". I do not know about the homeschooling laws in Seattle and whether this would work within those laws. I would suggest asking the same question in the Washington State Forum, they would be much more familiar with the law there. Hope this helps!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Fireschoolmom Guest

Default It can be done

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is possible to work and homeschool. I work 48 houra a week outside of my home and I homeschool my three childreen age 7, 9, and 12, and I have been for the last 8 years. I have the unique schedule of working 28 of those hours from 4pm to 7am so I do schoolwork during the day on those days and then work at night. The other days when I am workingduring the day, I let my hubby get the kids work done when he is at home and I am at work (we have the same schedule just opposite) or I have a family member suppervise the kids doing review work on subjects that I have already taught the lesson. Sometimes they just do a subject that is easy for a substitute to oversee like Art or Geography.

I take advantage of the fact that WE ARE HOMESCHOOLERS and we dont have to stick to the same school hours that the other kids do. If we want to do school work in the evening when I get home from work because they decided that they wanted to go to the library or museum that day with the sitter, fine. We can get our lessons in when we are in a learning mood and then we learn so much more.

I realize that a lot of people have a 9-5 and our schedule doesnt work for them but I just want you to know that there are families out there where both parents work full time jobs outside of the home, homeschool, take the kids to gym classes, art classes, archery, field trips, the library, museums, the park, and so much more with out losing thier minds. Just look at your schedule and find the sweet spot. It may mean that you will need a friend to help on a semi regular basis if hubby can't but you can do it if you really want to. Just remember that the kids will learn the most when they have a partner in learning. If that is you, a sibling, a friend, or your spouse, they will need someone to bounce ideas off of or to throw comments at like "Hey, did you know...?" Most kids do not thrive in a homeschool enviroment if left alone everyday. If you keep all that in mind then you will do just fine.