Looks invasive to homeschool in MD???
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Looks invasive to homeschool in MD???

Unregistered Guest

Default Looks invasive to homeschool in MD???

My husband could possibly be transfered to MD - we currently homeschool in TX where the laws are very supportive and easy for homeschoolers. I am looking up information and seeing that you have to either enroll the children in a church school program or allow the superintendant to view the kids work twice a year? Yikes! This might force us to pass over the promotion for MD.... can anyone explain this to me from those of you who are currently homeschooling in MD? Would an online Abeka or Bob Jones program work and if so, do they still demand to view your business? Thank you in advance - Dayna

Unregistered Guest

Default Options for MD Homeschoolers

Since you are already an established homeschooler and you seem to prefer not to deal with the board of education or a church affiliation, you have the option of using a secular umbrella group. An affordable and open minded option would be Many Paths to Natural Learning. You can research this option at Many Paths Philosophy

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Unregistered Guest

Talking Umbrella makes a huge difference in MD

Compared to Texas, MD is very restrictive- but there are other states even worse.
    This might fit your bill : Maryland Homeschool Reviews - Home
    or if you're looking for christian umbrellas- there are a LOT of those around as well.

BrendaV2262 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you, Dayna. This is the same question that I've been having. I'm in Washington County, Hagerstown, MD, and will be pulling my son out of school June 12. I haven't been thrilled about a Common Core school district supervising my homeschooling.

Unregistered Guest

We are in Montgomery County Maryland and pulled both of our children out of the public school system.
    The best thing we ever did for them and their educational future. The social and emotional problems that began to crop up with our children due to the public school setting and their inability to deal with many "different children" in the school and provide adequate accommodations/appropriate resources, as the state law requires them to do, was so destructive to our children. To also learn a public school system keeps lawyers on retainer and hires even more in-house lawyers to help fight parents who advocate for their children's education (because doing the right thing would just be costly and they needed to keep within their budget) ... Too much to even go into but sets the stage on why homeschooling can appear intimidating to any parent on the surface.
    The Umbrella program in Maryland is the way to go so you don't have the public school system breathing down your back and questioning your every move. Many Paths of Natural Learning has provided a tremendous amount of support and guidance for our transition to homeschool which we began in 4th and 7th grades. Once we got the "public school mentality" unplugged from their minds, their social and emotional well being has improved 300% and having counselors witness this journey with us has been very valuable.
    Our children are very bright but have learning differences which do not conform to the Montgomery County Public school cookie cutter mentality ... having had one child graduate from the public school system in Montgomery County and upon entering college (for which a public school teacher told her she wasn't capable of learning at a higher level) they informed us because she graduated from Montgomery County Public schools she was required to take remedial classes because they only teach to the test and don't teach them to think and question. WOW what a wake up call for us. Needless to say our daughter graduated from college in 5 years with job offers in hand and still has people recruiting her since her college graduation. In her reflection, her public school years did not prepare her for her college journey but her parents did.
    Parents need to know the strength and power they can bestow upon their children and the world is theirs to embrace to the fullest.
    Don't give up in Maryland because someone in the public school system wants to act like a bully (due to their narrow minded mentality).
    MocoMom likes this.

Unregistered Guest

Default Co-ops?

I'm in PG county and my twins are barely a year old but I've been contemplating homeschooling already. I've just learned about umbrella groups... do you know of any in PG or Montgomery County? What about co-op groups? Are they much different than umbrella groups? I'm at the beginning of my homeschooling research. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Unregistered Guest

Default looking for co-op in montgomery county for my son in 7th grade for next year.

Can anyone tell me how I can find co-ops for my son in 7th grade next year? We live in Montgomery county and will be homeschooling my son next year but am having a hard time researching co-ops for him to be with kids his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are in Montgomery County Maryland and pulled both of our children out of the public school system.
    The best thing we ever did for them and their educational future. The social and emotional problems that began to crop up with our children due to the public school setting and their inability to deal with many "different children" in the school and provide adequate accommodations/appropriate resources, as the state law requires them to do, was so destructive to our children. To also learn a public school system keeps lawyers on retainer and hires even more in-house lawyers to help fight parents who advocate for their children's education (because doing the right thing would just be costly and they needed to keep within their budget) ... Too much to even go into but sets the stage on why homeschooling can appear intimidating to any parent on the surface.
    The Umbrella program in Maryland is the way to go so you don't have the public school system breathing down your back and questioning your every move. Many Paths of Natural Learning has provided a tremendous amount of support and guidance for our transition to homeschool which we began in 4th and 7th grades. Once we got the "public school mentality" unplugged from their minds, their social and emotional well being has improved 300% and having counselors witness this journey with us has been very valuable.
    Our children are very bright but have learning differences which do not conform to the Montgomery County Public school cookie cutter mentality ... having had one child graduate from the public school system in Montgomery County and upon entering college (for which a public school teacher told her she wasn't capable of learning at a higher level) they informed us because she graduated from Montgomery County Public schools she was required to take remedial classes because they only teach to the test and don't teach them to think and question. WOW what a wake up call for us. Needless to say our daughter graduated from college in 5 years with job offers in hand and still has people recruiting her since her college graduation. In her reflection, her public school years did not prepare her for her college journey but her parents did.
    Parents need to know the strength and power they can bestow upon their children and the world is theirs to embrace to the fullest.
    Don't give up in Maryland because someone in the public school system wants to act like a bully (due to their narrow minded mentality).

AnnaS. Guest

Default Mrs

What is the Umbrella program. I live in Charles county Md. And would like to homeschool my daughter who will be in 10th grade.

Homeschooling Mama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Looks invasive to homeschool in MD???

Don't be afraid to homeschool in MD. I'm new to this and just had my portfolio reviewed for both my girls. It couldn't have gone easier. Lots of times to choose from and local locations. It took a half an hour per child (I homeschool 2), the reviewer was friendly and great. The only annoying thing was carting all my stuff to and from there.

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Looks invasive to homeschool in MD???

I'm getting ready to go in for my first review of my kids homeschooling but most of their work so far has been done online. Any recommendations and help on tips for what to include in our portfolio would be great. We are in Washington County and any other information for local co-ops would be awesome as well.