Museum lists???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Museum lists???

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Museum lists???

Hi fellow homeschoolers! I was thinking that we could start a list of museums in the state of Maryland to help with the planning of field trips. Children really do like them and so do adults. Many are free or low cost, some even have special days for school groups and that could be interpreted as homeschool groups also.
    I'm going to start a list but would absolutely love it if you would please add your favorite museums or comment on the ones that I list.
    Remember, information is a good thing.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Let's start with Military and Maritime and Aviation
    Airmen Memorial Museum Created by the Air Force Sergeant's Association to honor Airmen and their contributions and sacrifices from 1907 to the present.
    The Annapolis Maritime Museum Dedicated to preserving the maritime heritage of Annapolis and the surrounding area.
    The Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum The museum is dedicated to the promotion and preservation of aviation and space history in Maryland.
    Havre de Grace Maritime Museum Dedicated to preserving and interpreting the maritime history of the Susquehanna River and Upper Chesapeake Bay.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

And what about museums dedicated to Agriculture....
    The Rural Heritage Museum Learn of the regions ties to agriculture, past and present.
    Neild MuseumA broad collection of artifacts illustrating life in an agricultural setting in Dorchester County from colonial times to the more recent past. Rakes, shovels, pitchforks, reapers.
    Kent County Museum Over 200 items dedicated by local farming families, including wagons, sleds, tractors, and household items. Don't miss the granery.
    The Howard County Living Farm Heritage Museum Offers programs, open to the public, to experience the many facets of historical farm life, as well as, see the museum structures and displays come to life during construction.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

How about those historic homes??
    The Beall-Dawson Historic House Museum An 1815 Federalist style home designed to showcase the owner's wealth and standing in the community. Includes interpretations of life in the early 19th century.
    Billingsly House Museum A 1740 brick colonial plantation home on 430 acres. One of the oldest structures in the county. Open tours on limited days.
    Geddes Piper House 1784 Federalist style house. Was lived in until 1910, later went through several changes including a kindergarten and an apartment building before being lovingly restored.
    Mount Harmon Plantation A beautifully restored 18th century plantaion/maor house, and colonial kitchen on 200 acres.

I'm sure this is not all, just a few to get your started. Please, please feel free to add any that you know of.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Just for fun museums.....
    Antique Toy Museum
    Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum
    Chesapeake Children's Museum
    The Radio and Television Museum of Bowie

Ok, add Ripley's Believe it or Not....or anything else you can think of that would be fun, unusual or just plain interesting!!! Jump right on in!

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Unregistered Guest

Default Maryland Museums Sorted by Counties

Good Evening,

I found this wonderful website with Maryland museums sorted by counties. I wish the website had a list of the museums sorted by category but I don't mind doing extra work. Just thought I should share! Enjoy!

Museums, Maryland

Best,

Alayna

Thank you so much for this addition! No extra work is necessary, this is a great link.

Thanks again for sharing!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

albrummett Guest

Default Free Museum That My Daughter Loved

The National Cryptologic Museum has lots of fun things for kids (mine is age 8 and loved it) and adults. Free parking, free entry! National Cryptologic Museum - NSA/CSS

What an awsome idea! Sounds like a great museum.
    Thank you for sharing!!

Anyone else have things to share?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

I took my boys, ages 12 & 14 to the National Electronics Museum (History of the Nation's Defense Electronics) and they really enjoyed it. It's $5.00 for adults and $1.00 for students. It's in Anne Arundel County, Linthicum, on Nursery Road (near BWI airport).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast