Need Help!

Thread: Need Help!

Mom of 3 princesses is offline Junior Member

Post Need Help!

Hello Linda,

I am Yongbok, mom of three girls, Jennifer(11), Julie(7) and Jane(1). Yes we love "J" We are Military family and gone overseas (South Korea) for almost 4 1/2 years and moved back to Maryland about two months ago. We couldn't find the house we like so have decided to get our first house built in Clarksburg.

To make a long story short, we plan to homeschool our two girls, Jennifer (6th) and Julie (2nd) for "FOUR" months. We are not very impressed with the public schools near our apartment where we are currently living temporarily, and we do not want to transfer our girls again after two quarters to the new school in Clarksburg. I see you don't give any legal advice but we do appreciate any help/advice before we start homeschooling. Never homeschool before but it will be a fun time for my family!

Thank you,
    Yongbok

Sorry I repeated myself three times!

Unregistered Guest

Default Mother of four Princesses

Hi, I live in Frederick and this is my second year homeshcooling. Welcome to Maryland...Clarksburg is a beautiful area and I hope you and your family are enjoying it here. This year I am homeschooling my youngest three princesses, ages 5, 6 and just turned 8 two weeks ago. I live in Frederick County, and I am required to meet with the Board of Education Homeschool monitor twice a year. I just had my first meeting for this year two days ago. Here in Frederick County, the meeting is very layed back and informal, and basically you just let them know what curriculum you will be using (I chose Time4learning this year and my kids love it) and I brought reading lists that I got on line for age appropriate books for each of their grades (wasn't required). I believe Clarksburg is in Montgomery County, so you can just call the Montgomery County Board of Education and set up a meeting with them, because I believe the process is the same for all of Maryland, regardless of county.
    As far as curriculum, you may choose accredited or non-accredited, it's up to you. Last year I chose accredited and I basically spent a great deal of money for something I was told later was of little importance at this age (by the board of education). I can already tell that time4learning is going to be a much better choice for my kids. Also, just an FYI, I saw a program on the news the other day about how to improve our educational system, and they used a pilot program in a school that looked very similar to time4learning, in that it was both educational and fun, and it gave the teachers instant feedback so as to enable them to know whether or not the child grasped the concept that was being taught. Anyway, the result was very successful, and the average for the entire class went up two letter grades! I personally have only been using this over the summer, but I really, really like it. I can go into the portfolio section and see exactly what my children need help with and what they understood. I also like the fact that they give them review sessions and quizzes. It makes my job much easier! Good luck with your little princesses!

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't worry too much about homeschooling my girls but it will be very challenging with one year old Jane around. I will contact the board of education immediately. Good luck with your three princesses too!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Yongbok,
    Welcome to Time4Learning! I hope you will find that this curriculum works well for your children. They can move at their own pace, and also have the opportunity to do extra work on a topic they might have difficulty with. Maryland is not difficult to homeschool in. I would recommend that you find a local homeschool group. The people in that group will be a great support group for you and friends for your children. You will find that local groups are great because you will have people to go on field trips with, and the parents there will have some experience with the local education system.
    Be patient and be kind, to yourself, and your children. Sometimes switching from another education system to homeschooling can be difficult, and adding moving (from another country, no less) on top of new schooling situations can be hard for kids to adapt to.
    We just moved to a different state, and I am so glad we had Time4Learning to be a constant in my daughter's life. New state, new house, new people, even different rules where homeschooling is concerned, but school stayed the same, helping my daughter ease into this school year.
    I will add to what the other mom said, and tell you to keep examples of your child's artwork, and any extracurricular activities, like music lessons, sports teams, clubs, etc that your children are involved with. The reviews really are to see if your children are being taught, and if they are making forward progress.
    Good luck to both of you (Yongbok, and guest, I don't know your name!) feel free to ask questions, and happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Did you get an answer?

Hello,

My son was recently expelled from his school and I don't think the local high school will be a viable option for him. Are your children home-schooled? What is the process that needs to be done? I'm in a reactive mode and just begun looking at options any information you could provide would be desperately appreciated.

Thank you much!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    How old is your son? Was he in high school before being expelled? If he is in high school, let me point you toward
    Let's Homeschool High School . That site has a wealth of information on homeschooling high school students including curriculum options. It also has a parent and student forum, so that your student can talk to other homeschooled students. I highly recommend LHSHS.
    My child is homeschooled, and has been for over 6 years now. We started out with Time4Learning in the middle of 1st grade and she is in 7th grade now, she is 12.
    As for the process to homeschool, I can point you toward a couple of places that will give you the law in Maryland. From what I understand it is not difficult to homeschool in Maryland. Ann Zeise has a lot of information and the law on her site A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling. One of the biggest things to note is the change in the upper end of compusory age.
    I hope this helps. If your son needs to do some review, you might let him try 8th grade Time4Learning.
    I'm sorry you are in reactive stage right now. I know it can be difficult when you had not been considering homeschool and suddenly it seems like the best choice. Please feel free to ask any questions about homeschooling you might have, and good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!