new homeschooling mom
    DAG 1222 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb new homeschooling mom

Hello Everyone my name is Dee, i am a newby to the homeschooling scene, i just started this last quater,my son is a 8th grader and was in pg county schools, i just need some home-schooling ideas, i have no idea where to find resourses for end of the semester testing. is there a website where you can get the cirriculum for testing ? or do you pretty much create your own. help

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Dee,
    I'm not sure how this one slipped through but I just realized that you posted this and I wanted to respond. First of all, welcome to Time4Learning! Have you connected with a local homeschool group in your area? The parents in the local groups usually have the inside scoop on where to find things locally. Are you wanting to test in some official capacity or are you just looking to see where your son actually stands, and where he needs help? Are you planning to continue next school year?
    I apologize for letting this message go so long withou a response. Let us know how things are going and we can try to help you find the resources you are looking for.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Cool new

Hi,
    I am a Military wife, moved to MD 6 months ago. I have a 10 yr old child, he is currently in public school in the 5th grade. I have been thinking about homeschooling for a few years now, and just don't know how to go about getting into it, or how or why I should even do it. I only have 1 child, and would like him to be a social butterfly, but he tends to get anxiety, and panics is situations where he he is 'in control' of, and I can only imagine how middle school will take a toll on him. I will let him experience it, and have begged him if anything goes wrong, bullying, other situations that's causing him from wanting to go to school, in a heartbeat, I will start homeschooling. I want to know from other parents, what made them decide to home school?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! There might be as many reasons to homeschool as there are families who do it. I have a running list of why I homeschool. I sometimes half-jokingly say, "Yep, that's reason number 975 why we homeschool!" I also have an only child, 11.5 year old daughter. She has ADHD and is gifted (which is a blessing and sometimes a curse!) I was not intending to homeschool her, I thought she needed to go to school and figure out how the world worked. By the middle of 1st grade, we knew that wasn't working and the chaos at our house was unbearable. Her school was on lockdown twice in the first semester of that school year. She told the teacher that she was "done doing busy work, if you don't think it is important enough to grade it, I don't think it is important enough to waste my time." She was sick the entire week before Thanksgiving, when I went to pick up her school work so she could catch up over the break, she had 20 pages, and 12 of those were Pilgrim parts (you know, a boy pilgrim head, a girl pilgrim head, a boy pilgrim arms, a girl pilgrim arms...etc). This meant that she only had 8 pages of school work for an entire week. No wonder she was bored! Pilgrim parts?12 pages worth? Seriously?!
    In the end, it was kind of like one of those perfect storms, we reached the end of our collective ropes and had to try something new. Enter homeschooling.
    We just passed our 5th year anniversary as homeschoolers and I can't imagine educating any other way.
    That's our story...anyone else care to chime in?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!