New Homeschooling Parent - Tips for Socialization and Field Trips

Default New Homeschooling Parent - Tips for Socialization and Field Trips

Hello - I am the new guardian of a wonderful 8th grade boy that has come to me from TX. He was being homeschooled through a different system in TX, however, he was not receiving any socialization, field trips or extracurricular care. Although I am a full supporter of him continuing his homeschooling, I have never myself homeschooled my other children. I have an Au Pare that will be coming in for several hours a day as I work. I will handle music and science instruction in the evenings and/or weekends. I would like to see if anyone has any resources for field trips and social time in Harford County area. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Melody Peterson is offline Junior Member Newbie

I was wondering about this topic as well...

As far as field trips, we got an annual membership to the Baltimore aquarium. We've also taken a field trip to DC to visit the various museums. I wish I had more ideas for you, but I'm kind of in the same boat. I would like to have more ideas for socialization and field trips.

I was thinking of trying to find a homeschooling group in the area and started off by looking around on the Internet. We're in Harford County as well. If I find anything, I'll let you know. Do you use Facebook? If there are no groups in the area, I was thinking it might be a good idea to start trying to find people in the area that want to start a group.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We are glad to have you both. One of the most important things I can do is to tell you to find a local homeschool group. First of all they are they people who will be your support network. They will be your local contact to make sure you are legal, and can give you advice on things that worked for them. They will be a support group for your children as well, because the other homeschool children will be available for play dates, extra-curricular activities and field trips. You can find groups by doing an internet search for homeschool support groups in your area, and checking with local churches, and by checking with your local library. For some reason, librarians always seem to notice the homeschool families, maybe because they tend to be in the library often and during school hours!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!