New to Maryland and to Homeschooling
    NavyMomOf5registered Guest

Default New to Maryland and to Homeschooling

Hello!
    I look forward to hearing about homeschooling in Montgomery county. My husband will be stationed at Walter Reed Med Ctr. We will be homeschooling an 8, 6.5, 4.5, and 3 year old twins when the new school year commences. We haven't done this before. We feel it will be a great option since we know very little about the neighborhood we'll be moving to and the schools there. Right now our children love their teachers and friends here in California at a private Catholic Montessori school. We cannot afford private school tuition in MD for 5 kids unfortunately. I would love to hear more from you MD homeschoolers. My two older kids love their friends and are wondering if they'll make friends if we homeschool.
    I have so many questions about family life and homeschooling in MD.
    Susan

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi NavyMom!
    Welcome to Time4Learning and the wonderful world of homeschooling! In some ways I think homeschooling is perfect for militar families because it moves with you when you are reassigned. Everything else may be new, but school is still school if you homeschool.
    We are not military, but recently moved to a different state and it was great that we had something consistant amid all the change.

I will tell you that your children will make friends in homeschooling, but sometimes you have to work harder at it. What I mean by that is that there are not "automatic" friends from school, so you might have to seek out opportunities for your kids to meet other kids. That shouldn't be too hard, especially if you find a local homeschool group. Check online, and at your local library to see if you can find a local group.

I'm going to offer two links, the first is the Time4Learning Welcome to Homeschooling Guide which has some information about homeschoolng, and the other is the Time4Learning Military Forum, this is a forum with other military families who might have suggestions specific to homeschooling as a military family.

Of course, you are welcome to ask questios on this board any time you like, or gripe, or tell us about triumphs or failures, or anything else you might like to share.
    We are glad to have you here!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!