New from PG

Thread: New from PG

queeniepoo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Talking New from PG

We are not a homeschooling family, though I think about it all of the time, but we have been using the site to review and stay fresh during the summer. We are definitely interested in meeting other families from this area for social interaction. I work from home, my husband works outside of the home and we have 4 children aged 3, 9, 11 and 16.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome Queeniepoo! We are happy you have joined us, if only for the summer. You might consider homeschooling again, if you think that it might be something that would work for your family. It is a great way of life if you can manage it. T4L can even accommodate your 16 year old starting the fall semester, they have added High School Courses!!! This made me outrageously happy Anyway, we are glad to have you here, feel free to ask any questions you might have about using T4L just for summer bridge work, or for homeschooling during the regular school year.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Hi!! I am in the area! Lets get together!

Hey There!! My name is Meosha and Like you I work from home and my husband outside of the home. I have 2 children age 11 and 15. My son is 6th grade and my daughter will be starting her second year high school. I am in Bowie Md how about you?

Jewells123 Guest

Smile New to Homeschooling from Bowie, Maryland

Dear all:

I a new homeschool mom. My son is 14, and in 10th grade. We used Time4Learning in the past as a Summer program. Now that we are homeschooling, we are using it again, and my son likes it a lot. He told me though that he has a problem with studying, and I was wondering if anyone knows of study skills materials that may help. I would appreciate hearing back from you.

Thanks a lot.

Julie

Meosha,
    We are glad to have you here. Welcome to Time4Learning! Have you been homeschooling long? I hope that you can connect withhomeschoolers locally, but we would love to be your online support group. Let us know how things are going in your homeschool!
    Linda

Julie,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! As my daughter begins taking high schoolclasses I have discovered that my daughter seems to be short on study skills aswell. She never had to study in middleschool but high school is a whole other thing.
    One of the things you can do is to go in a print a copy ofquizzes that have that option. Then use those to study for the chaptertest. The other thing that we are tryingto institute at our house (not much success there lately!) is to get mydaughter to take notes. I think thatnote taking is a very important study skill. Not only to you get to see the material the original time, but as youwrite it you have one review, then as you study it for the test you get asecond review.
    You could also let him do some research on the internet onthe subject, reading additional sources might help him pack down more informationthan just doing the lesson.
    That’s all I’ve got for you right now, it is an ongoingprocess for us.
    Perhaps someone has experience improving study skills intheir student….anyone care to respond??
    Linda

Question How to get course credit added at PGCPS from T4L classes

Hello, I am Terri. My children are attending PGCPS but I am doing a modified curriculum between Apex VHS and Time 4 Learning to reinforce at home skills and classes that I want them to have stenghth in. My question is, what do you need to take to the school to get the credit for the online courses. What's the proper chain of command and terminology?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Terri. Schools vary in their willingness to accept homeschool work for credit. Since there are no laws saying what they must or may not accept, it often comes down to the opinion of the individual you are speaking with at the school. A copy of the scope and sequence for the course your student has taken, along with the student's reports, can help with negotiation.

It also often helps if the person know the curriculum was developed to be used in public schools, is used in public schools across the nation, and is aligned with all state standards. You can direct them to the Compass Learning Odyssey site (who only provides the curriculum to schools) if they want more information. Time4Learning has acquired a license from Compass Learning Odyssey which allows them to provide the curriculum to families and individuals.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. The problem comes when you try to mix homeschooling (where the parent directs the student's education, awards credit, and issues a diploma) with online school or public school (where a third party directs the student's education, awards credit, and issues a diploma).

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Let us know if you have additional questions. (Time4Learning is not an online school. Time4Learning is an online curriculum.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!