St. Mary's County T4L users?
    Unregistered Guest

Default St. Mary's County T4L users?

Just wondering if there are any St. Mary's County T4L users I could pick your brain on a couple of things. I'm mainly concerned about providing records from the T$L website, for the county administrator, when that time comes. Also, does T4L pretty much set up your child's schedule of subjects for a daily basis, or is that done by me? My son will be going into 3rd grade, and I want to know what additional supplementation is needed for science and social studies, or if the 4th grade material could satisfy that? I'm also looking for music options, and would love to know what people do for health instruction?
    Thanks!
    Amy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Amy, glad to have you here! As far as record keeping is concerned make sure that you keep samples of your child's work in a portfolio, print out quizzes, chapter tests, copies of written assignments. Make sure you print the records of what your child did day to day regularly. Time4Learning is pretty flexible, so you can just figure out how many days of school you plan on having, then divide the number of total assignments by that number to give you a number of assignments per day. You can either do a little of each subject each day, or you can do all one subject in a day. My daughter loved to do all one subject, she said it didn't make her brain switch gears so much, so for example, we might do all language arts extensions in one day. On a different day we might do math, and yet another day do science. This works for us, but it might now work for you. Play around with it and see how that works for your son. Remember to stay flexible! Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or need more info please feel free to ask!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 05-13-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: tried to make paragraphs and failed!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default another question

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Could you also give me a sample schedule of a day or two, or a week to go by?
    Thank you!
    Amy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Amy, I can try to give you a schedule but trust me when I tell you that your schedule will probably never look like mine! My daughter has hit that teen thing where she doesn't like to get up early in the morning. Lately we start school between 10 and 11am on a good day. It might be 2pm on a bad day! Because we are doing this block thing where we do 2 weeks of language arts/social studies and 2 weeks math/science (this is by her choice) I have her do a different number of exercises a day. For example on a language arts/social studies day I want her to do 10 lessons/activities/quizzes up to about 13 lessons. However, on math/science weeks she can't do as many lessons because they take longer. I'm aiming for about 8 or so on math/science weeks. She has already completed all the science T4L has to offer so she is now doing book work for science, and she must complete a section or two a day in addition to 8 maths for a complete day of work. I know this sounds unreasonable but consider that my daughter is about a year ahead in science, easily on level for math though she hates it. Also know, before you think this is a hard schedule that she is in 7th or 8th grade level in all of her subjects, and like a border collie, if I don't keep her busy with a job she digs holes in the yard, figuratively and literally! She also reads voraciously and writes pretty well (finally! she was a very reluctant writer until last year). We homeschool year round, and so some weeks we do almost nothing, others we work really hard. I'm sure that there is a formula somewhere to figure out how many hours a day a 3rd grader should work, but each child is different and homeschooling allows you to do what works for your child. We don't do it by hours because my daughter would mess around and get nothing done if I told her that she had to only work for 5 hours a day LOL! By setting a number of lessons, when she is done, she is done, doesn't matter if it took 2 hours or 8. I hope this helps a little!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 06-17-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!