Unique situation - can I even do it?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: Unique situation - can I even do it?

CysticFibrosismom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Unique situation - can I even do it?

I would like to homeschool my 11 year old. Currently, his dad and I share physical custody 50/50. HOWEVER, I have sole legal custody (meaning I make all education decisions). I also have a full time job, but amazing bosses and a lot of flexibility.

Here's my question... would I be able to homeschool him under this type of plan: I provide the schooling on my days (however many hours it takes to complete the curriculum), which would be Wednesday and Thursday of every week, and every other Friday - Sunday. I would adjust my work schedule to be able to provide instruction on the week days I have him, and then also on the weekend days he's with me.

I am searching and searching online, and I don't see specific TIME requirements for the state of Maryland, only completion of the curriculum. I think I can provide that on my days - if I'm allowed to do it that way.

HELP please!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unique situation - can I even do it?

Hi! I'm not in Maryland, but I have some experience interpreting homeschool laws. Your situation isn't all that unique. When my children's father left, I had five left at home and we were homeschooling. The older four (including the one who had graduated at the time) are all now attending or have graduated from college. I'm only homeschooling the younger two at this point. Time4Learning helped a lot, as I no longer had to sit down and grade a bunch of workbooks at the end of the day, nor did I have to teach everything "from scratch". The lessons did most of the teaching and I just needed to help out when a particular child needed more explanation.

Here is what Maryland requires (along with my comments in blue). Also, you might want to look at this information about how to maintain a homeschool portfolio when you are using Time4Learning:

Homeschooling under the portfolio option:
    To homeschool under this option, you’ll need to follow these guidelines.

1. File a Notice of Consent form with your superintendent.

Your child could be considered truant if you withdraw him or her from school without immediately filing this form.
    On the form, select the legal option under which you are homeschooling (the portfolio option). (The other options would not be considered "homeschooling" in most states, as you are associating with a school.)

2. Teach the required subjects.

The required subjects are math, English, social studies, science, art, music, health, and physical education. (Note that the content of the subjects is up to you or the curriculum you choose. No two programs will present the exact same material in the exact same order; nor will they choose to go in-depth on the same topics.)

3. Provide the required instruction.

You must provide regular, thorough instruction in the required subjects. This instruction must be “of sufficient duration” to implement your instructional program. (You can see that Maryland does not require a certain number of days or hours.)

4. Maintain a portfolio.

You must maintain a portfolio of your educational materials. This should include instructional materials and reading materials, as well as examples of your child’s writing, worksheets, workbooks, creative materials, and tests. (See the link above for help with creating this.)

5. Respond to your superintendent’s requests to review your portfolio.

The local superintendent can review your portfolio at a mutually agreeable time and place. He or she can do this only three times a year. (In practice, this usually happens once or twice a year.) (Although it may be allowed, it is usually recommended that you not bring any of your children to a portfolio review.)
    6. Be aware that the school cannot impose additional requirements.

Local school systems cannot impose additional requirements for your homeschool, other than those listed in Maryland’s regulations.

In addition, you might be interested in this information about using Time4Learning to homeschool in Maryland.

I hope this helps until a Maryland resident comes along with some advice based on experience.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Unique situation - can I even do it?

I'm not sure about the homeschooling laws in your state, but outside of those, it's definitely doable.
    Over the years, my homeschooling schedule has been everything but normal. We've homeschooled only on weekends, only at night, Sunday-Thursday and taking months off at a time. My children still did great!