Wanting to homeschool but have questions
    Kerri Gonnabe Kemp is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Wanting to homeschool but have questions

Hi, my name is Kerri and I live in Wicomico County in Maryland. I am going to be homeschooling my 12 year old son this up coming year when he starts, hopefully, 7th grade. There is too much bullying in his school and not enough one on one attention that he needs for the problems he has ( He has ADHD, PTSD, and mood disorder) and he really needs to be taught from home. I was interested in doing either T4L or etap as a core curriculum. Does anyone have an opinions on either site? A big question I have, is how do we know that the child has passed the grade and can move on to the next one? In schools we get report cards and if they fail subjects they repeat the grade. That thought just crossed my mind as I was researching homeschooling. Any help at all would be great, as I have NO IDEA what I am doing or how to do it. Thanks
    -Kerri

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Kerri,

You might find that since this is a Time4Learning forum that st of the people here are in favor of using Time4Learning

I'm so sorry to hear about the bullying that your son has to deal with. My daughter, 12, ADHD, only dealt with bullying once in school, and it required a visit to the doctor! That was not the main reason we decided to homeschool, but it was a contributing factor. Mainly she needed school that was made for the way she learns, and the needs she has, not a cookie cutter school curriculum like public schools. The traditional classroom setting was really a nightmare for my daughter, and she didn't hesitate to reap her unhappiness on the entire family when she came home from school! We finally had enough and pulled her to homeschool middle of 1st grade. She is completely finished her 6th grade work officially, today, but has been working on some 7th grade work since beginning of the school year.
    You asked how you will know when your son is ready to move up a grade...well, T4L keeps excellent records for you, and you can check them at any time. So basically, you can find out daily, or even several times a day, instead of waiting for a negative progress report or report card, to know if your son is getting the material. At our house 80% or 90% is passing, if she doesn't achieve those scores then she must repeate the lesson, quiz, or chapter test. You can tell when they are learning. It is an amazing moment to see the epiphanies as they learn. Once you see it, you will have no doubt when he is grasping a concept and ready to move on to the next!

I remember being at the place you are now, not sure homeschooling was the answer, but knowing that the traditional school setting was definetly NOT the answer. It is a scary place to be, but once you take the plunge to do homeschooling it does get easier, and you will feel more confident in your ability to homeschool your son. You will probably see a considerable improvement in grades, self-esteem, and general attitude, I know I did with my daughter. Even the bad days of homeschooling are better than the good days of traditional schooling were for us!

Let us know how things go, and what you decide. (Oh, and remember that you do not have to wait until the next school year to start, I pulled my daughter out at Christmas of her 1st grade year!)
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Just a Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Gonnabe Kemp View Post
    Hi, my name is Kerri and I live in Wicomico County in Maryland. I am going to be homeschooling my 12 year old son this up coming year when he starts, hopefully, 7th grade. There is too much bullying in his school and not enough one on one attention that he needs for the problems he has ( He has ADHD, PTSD, and mood disorder) and he really needs to be taught from home. I was interested in doing either T4L or etap as a core curriculum. Does anyone have an opinions on either site? A big question I have, is how do we know that the child has passed the grade and can move on to the next one? In schools we get report cards and if they fail subjects they repeat the grade. That thought just crossed my mind as I was researching homeschooling. Any help at all would be great, as I have NO IDEA what I am doing or how to do it. Thanks
    -Kerri
    Kerri

I also live in Wicomico County have you decided on Homeschooling I have a 5th grader with Add and am terrified to go to 6th grade I am looking for a solution but am terrified about homeschooling as well, I would like to see how it is going for you

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning! I know what you mean about homeschooling being terrifying. For about a month after I realized that homeschooling was really our only choice, and the time that I actually took the plunge into homeschooling I cried every day, and that is NOT an exaggeration! After I finally took the leap into homeschooling I found that things greatly improved at our house. The stress of school became a thing of the past, my daughter's behavior got better, and I saw her enjoying learning again.
    I won't lie to you, life as a homeschooler is not perfect, and it is not for every one, but it made such a positive change in our home I just want to reassure you that it is not nearly as scary as it looks before you get started.

If you have any questions about homeschooling, or just want to talk about it feel free to post here!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!