Welcomes and Introductions
    shelbelle is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Welcomes and Introductions

Hi, my name is Shelby and I just started homeschooling my almost 12 year old son. He is in 6th grade and this is all very new to me. I started homeschooling on Feb 01, 2009. I just found time4learning and I signed us up today. I really love it and my son likes it too. He started today and loved the math and language arts subjects. I am wondering if this is ok to use as our curriculum for MD? I received my letter for my review already and I am really nervous. Can anyone help me with what kind of records I need to keep? What should I take to the review? Any and ALL advice is welcomed.
    Thank you and I am so glad I found time4learning and this forum!

Shelby

mdhomescool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Hello and Welcome!

Hi Shelby!
    Congrats on homeschooling your son! It will be a wonderful and enriching adventure for both of you!

Using time4learning is an excellent starting point as a curriculum for homeschooling in MD. I had my first review of the school year with the school board back in Jan. I showed my reviewer the time4learning reports of all the subjects (math, reading, science, social studies) that my son has been doing since the beginning of the year. My reviewer loved that it had test scores and showed what he has been studying. We had a very long and good discussion about time4learning! She said that she was going to write it down as an excellent source for a curriculum for parents searching for a curriculum.

I'm not going to tell you not to be nervous because you will be! What I do is brag about my son's achievements and all that he has learn and wants to learn. Use this time with your reviewer to talk (mostly BRAG ) about your son. Who doesn't love to talk about how wonderful their child is and how intelligent he is? In all seriousness, they want to hear that he is receiving instructions and learning outside of the public school system.

Regarding records. It does not matter what county you reside in. The state of Maryland regulates homeschooling not the county. Here's a link stating this fact (s7-301 The Annotated Code of Maryland): http://www.mhea.com/legal.htm. Pay attention to section F.

Keep everything and anything that your son does regarding the subjects (math, English, science, social studies). I keep all of my son's paperwork in a folder according to subject. When it comes time for my review I pull out the most significant things that he's done since the last review and put them in a binder to take with me. Just a simple one binder or folder of the things he's done will do. There won't be enough time to go through everything during the review. I also include s7-301 The Annotated Code of Maryland with my binder just in case my reviewer decides to pull a fast one on me.

You should have received a "review of home schooling program" with your appointment letter. Use that as a guide. It lists the subjects: English/reading, health, math, science, social studies, other, art, music, and physical education. All subjects do not necessarily have to be covered but the more the better. Also your appointment letter should tell you what you need to bring with you to the review. Usually sample work, lists of textbooks, workbooks, reading materials, formal or informal assessments, and a sample of your weekly schedule. I also include pictures of my bright and energetic son hard at work for my reviewer to see. I can't say that all reviewers like pictures but mine does!!

I hope this helps! I am going to create a new post with your questions for those who may have similar questions but do not visit this thread.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to create a new post of your questions.

Happy homeschooling!
    Have fun! Happy homeschooling!
    mdhomescool, Time4Learning Maryland Rep moderator

shelbelle is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for the help and words of encouragement! I was wondering how you show that your child is doing physical education? What about music, art and health? Do they have to do these all year round or just a semester? I am a little unclear on those. Can he play an instrument for music or does he have to learn about music? Same with art? Can he draw or does he have to learn about artists? Health? Teach him about good dental hygene? Phys. Ed? Should we play outside?
    Any help you can give me on these would be great! Thanks again so much. You have been a great help already.

Shelby

I take pictures! Lots of pictures! Of the course, the pictures are for the family album and, I take a few with me to the homeschool review. Physical education/activities are great for picture taking! Actually, any outdoor or physical activity can be counted as physical education. It doesn't have to be formal. For example, playing at the park on the monkey bars. Skills/lessons learned: physical education (strength and coordination); science (laws of gravity and body biology); and health (circulatory system and muscle system). Playing at the park is really more then playing at the park. It is an interdisciplinary subject of study!

Spring is here which means it is soccer and baseball season. If your son is involved in any sports you can show your registration form as part of his physical education. Talk about how much he enjoys playing a particular sport. If he isn't into any sports, biking or skateboarding can be counted as physical education. Just talk about what he is learning by doing these activities.

Many people fall into the mentality that you have to do each subject (reading, math, science) separately. You don't necessarily have to do them separately but you can if you want to. We take the approach that all subjects are interconnected and our son learns what he needs to without doing each subject independently. Take the above example at the park. Simply playing on the monkey bars covers physical education, science, and health. You can have your son write about his experience on the monkey bars which can count as language arts. Taking care of himself (bathing and brushing teeth), washing the dishes, helping keep the house tidy can all be health related. These are everyday things that people do and as children, they are learning to do.

If he plays an instrument that counts as music education. Even if he listens to music, say, he likes oldies. He is studying that genre of music just by listening to it whether he knows it or not.

My son loves to draw! I must say he is a better artist then I am. I still draw stick figures! He's never had a formal art lesson. He draws on a whim and I keep them, mostly for myself , and for the review. Don't forget about the performing arts - acting, dancing, etc. We attend several performing arts shows throughout the year. I save the ticket stubs and bring them to the review.

Don't stress out about covering each subject matter. You are probably all ready doing it. You just need to look at it in a different way. You don't need to do these activities by semester or all year long. Just do them when you can.

I hope this helps. If anything is unclear, please post again. Also feel free to create a new post. Your comments and questions do not have to be on this thread only.

MOMMY24 is offline Member

Do you have any experience homeschooling a high schooler? I may be homeschooling my daughter next year for 10th grade. We'll try it next year and see what she wants to do from there...stay home or go back to her public highschool.

I'm looking into curriculums and online high schools. I believe I like the AOP-Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum, as it seems interesting, and covers the core subjects. My concern is her Diploma. Do you have any advice, suggestions, or information for me?

Thanks,
    Stacey
    (mommy24)

Hi Stacey!
    I don't have any experience homeschooling a teenager yet. I still have a few years to prepare for that.

I think that it is wonderful that you are considering homeschooling your daughter.

Regarding the diploma. According to what I've researched, homeschoolers in the state of Maryland can receive a diploma by taking the GED. Of course, this is not the same as going to a public high school graduation ceremony to receive the diploma.

In the literature that I found, as of now, nonpublic entities registered to supervise homeschooling in Maryland can not issue diplomas. It doesn't directly say that though. But one has to assume that they can not according to the following. Here's the link to home instructions about graduation in Maryland http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/MS ... uction.htm

How can a home-schooled student receive a diploma?

If the home-schooled student returns to a public school and meets their secondary school graduation requirements, yes, the student may receive a Maryland issued state diploma.

If the home-schooled student returns to a nonpublic or church-exempt school and meet’s that school’s secondary school graduation requirements, the student may receive a diploma issued by that school’s legal authority. Note: COMAR 13A.09.09.09E states that the diploma of a nonpublic secondary school may not imply that the requirements for graduation from a Maryland public secondary school have been met.

Another alternative for the home-schooled student is to successfully complete the General Educational Development (GED) test and be issued a GED by the Maryland State Department of Education. For more information regarding GED contact the General Educational Development office at (410) 767-0538.

You might also be interested in the following links.
    FAQs about graduation in Maryland: http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/NR ... 052407.pdf
    List of registered nonpublic entities to supervise homeschooling: http://www.msde.state.md.us/nonpublic/h ... County.asp
    Interesting article about how PA nonpublic entities that supervise homeschooling are able to issue diplomas to homeschooled students: http://www.home-school.com/Articles/Hom ... lomas.html

I hope this helps. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to post.
    Stacey, if you have further questions, do not hesitate to post.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, mdhomescool!

Thanks for being here for other Maryland homeschoolers. I enjoyed your page about homeschooling in Maryland. It looks like you have some good options for homeschooling in your state.

Why don't you head on over to the Time4Learning Parent Map and add yourself?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!