Beginning homeschooling in the early teen years
    johannab is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Beginning homeschooling in the early teen years

Hello, I am the mother of a 13 year son who I have begun to consider homeschooling. He has always been an honor role student despite dealing with tics and sensory disorders that only came out at home. He would spend his days in school "holding it all together" until he arrived home when all the pent up energy would explode. He is in his seventh grade year and his grades have begun to fall, his behavior has presented major issues and teachers are "giving up" on him. He is set to have an educational and psychological evaluation to try to determine what is going on. Personally, I believe what is going on is that he is in the midst of puberty and all of the behaviors he has been able to control are now spilling out into the school environment. I don't want my child labeled as a "difficulty and disruptive student". Thus, the reason I am considering homeschooling for him. He is very active and can be difficult to get focused on the task at hand if he has no interest in that particular subject area. Has anyone else found success with homeschooling a child beginning at this age and with tics or other disorders? Thank you for any support you can offer.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi johannab, and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear that you and your son are experiencing problems with public school, but I think it's great that you are at least considering homeschool as an option.

You may find that just being at home, and out of a situation that he isn't enjoying, will be enough motivation for him to focus and enjoy homeschooling. On the other hand, he still may have trouble focusing and concentrating. I would suggest making sure to spend some time working with him, and finding out HOW he likes to learn. That may sound silly, but we first started homeschooling, I tried to recreate a classroom type setting for my son. We worked out of workbooks and textbooks, just like he did at school. We spent about a year doing this. And honestly...we spent about a year being pretty miserable. :/

I was searching for yet another curriculum option when I came across Time4Learning, but we gave it a try. My son was immediately interested (looking back, I think this was primarily just so he could spend more time on the computer, lol) and he started to enjoy his day. He would even ASK to do school. This was a little more than 5 years ago, and we are still using T4L with great results.

Having said that, some kids do respond better to workbooks and such, so again...just spend some time with your son before you "officially" start to homeschool him.

Here are a couple of links you might find helpful:

Welcome to Homeschooling guide
    The Time4Learning page regarding different Learning Styles
    The Special Needs forum

I hope that helped, at least a little. Please keep us posted as to how things are going with you and your son, and always feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!