Can Anyone Help Me with a "Letter of Intent to Homeschool" and what they expect?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me with a "Letter of Intent to Homeschool" and what they expect?

SteppingIn4Dev is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can Anyone Help Me with a "Letter of Intent to Homeschool" and what they expect?

Hello,
    We have recently been faced with the decision to pull my son out of the public school system in this district due to a total disregard for all the bullying and violence going on blatantly on a daily basis.
    I am told I have to submit a "letter of intent to home-school" and a curriculum to the superintendent of schools before the start of school which happens tomorrow.
    Can anyone offer any guidance? I have seen it asked several times here "Does T4L satisfy the law requirements?" but I have yet to see that answered. So I will ask again. Does it satisfy the legal requirements of Mass? I am just getting all this started, totally behind the 8-ball due to another virtual school filling up prior to my sons approval, so we are scrambling to put something together that will work for us until there is a slot for him, if we decide to take it.

Thanks for any advice. I am just jumping in here, and am ready to take this bull by the horns, but I have to do things the right way, in order that they (public schools) don't have grounds to take me to court or try to force me to put my child in an unsafe, volatile and threatening environment that they have no desire to regulate or correct.

Nichole

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think the question of whether it satisfies law requirements hasn't been answered because people probably haven't ran into any problems getting their curriculum approved. I can't give legal advice and say emphatically that it does or does not meet the requirements, but I can say that I have never seen anyone come back here and say that they were not approved.

I don't see anywhere in the Massachusetts homeschool laws where you have to submit a letter of intent, just where you have to submit your curriculum for approval. Most parents just copy and paste the grade level curriculum overview onto a word doc, and print it out for the school board. You can also list any other additional materials you will be using, such as a reading lists, planned field trips, experiments, etc.

Even though I don't see it in the laws, if your school board said that you DID have to submit a letter of intent, it could simply state your child's name, age and grade level, and that you intend to homeschool him using the proposed curriculum (and attach the curriculum overview).

Hope that helped!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Default Letter of intent

Hi Nichole,
    I took my son out of school last October for the same reason. I was told that I needed to submit a letter of intent pursuant to Massachusetts Department of Education guidelines. This requires that you specify competency of instructors, educational materials, how you plan to assess progress for student and a schedule of instruction (curriculum). I found AHEM to be a tremendous resource site when writing my letter and creating a proposed curriculum. I also asked for a letter of approval in response. This came in handy when applying for virtual academy. We did not get into the academy and are still homeschooling. This is a great program and has been working out for us immensely. My son has progressed with leaps and bounds. I was very worried about homeschooling but no more. This has been the BEST thing we could have done. I met with the IEP team late spring and they were highly impressed that he had progressed so much in such a short time. It is amazing how the mind can process so much more when there are no social stresses blocking the thought processes. I applaud you!! Good luck

Sinel
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for chiming in, Sinel!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

tec1964 is offline Junior Member Newbie

thank you for what you wrote to the other person .i too have to pull my daughter out , she is so stressed out and full of anxiety . because of other kids bothering her. my husband and i both feel its best for her to be home schooled. even though some say she stay in and others say you do whats you think is best for her. its over whelming for me but i know this the best thing for now for her