Homeschooling special needs children in MA
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: Homeschooling special needs children in MA

Imarika is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling special needs children in MA

Hello,
    I am currently homeschooling my 9 year old son diagnosed with autism. He has been using Time4Leaning for almost 4 years and doing his best. I am in Florida and plan to move to Massachusetts during the summer and continue to homeschool him. I've read that it is very difficult to homeschool in MA especially if the kid has special needs. I wanted to get some information from parents who are homeschooling their special needs children(autism) in MA. My son language is extremely delayed. He can only use short phrases to express himself. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! Hopefully some of our other members will chime in. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience homeschooling with special needs. Having said that, here are the Massachusetts homeschool laws...just in case you haven't seen them, and here is our special needs forum where you may have better luck finding other homeschoolers with similar situations. Sorry I couldn't be more help! :/

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to how things are going with your move...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Hi.. My son is on the spectrum as well. He is now learning 7th grade at home. I took him out of school last October because of bullying. The IEP team meet went on as scheduled last spring and he had progressed immensely. They informed me that the meeting will take pace every year because they are still ultimately responsible for his education. They require that a few test and/or work samples be provided. I found this meeting helpful because I was informed that he can still take part in his social skills group every week as listed on his IEP. I was not aware that a portion of his services would still be available. As you know, any kid on the spectrum really needs the social skills instruction and that was the biggest fear for me about homeschooling. As long as the IEP stays in effect, you can access services as well as provide your child will a safe education at home. I was advised to request a letter of approval from the superintendent in my letter of intent. This has proved to be helpful and adds extra protection for you.
    Good Luck,
    Sinel
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for chiming with that info, Sinel!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling special needs in Mass.

Hi Imarika, Have you moved to Massachusetts? If so where?

Jane C.

Quote Originally Posted by Imarika View Post
    Hello,
    I am currently homeschooling my 9 year old son diagnosed with autism. He has been using Time4Leaning for almost 4 years and doing his best. I am in Florida and plan to move to Massachusetts during the summer and continue to homeschool him. I've read that it is very difficult to homeschool in MA especially if the kid has special needs. I wanted to get some information from parents who are homeschooling their special needs children(autism) in MA. My son language is extremely delayed. He can only use short phrases to express himself. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

susan.NPK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I new to this, was wondering if you need to be "certified" to homeschool?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi Imarika, Have you moved to Massachusetts? If so where?

Jane C.