My child was born before the Sept 1st cutoff - is homeschooling a good option?
    J&D0910 Guest

Default My child was born before the Sept 1st cutoff - is homeschooling a good option?

Hi --

My child was born on October 16th, and my local and surrounding districts have a September 1st cutoff. This will put my child at a great disadvantage because he would have to wait until he's about to turn 7 in order to start 1st grade. I'm looking into other options to get his education started early, but private schooling is too expensive. I like the homeschooling alternative because I could take charge of my child's education (I am an educator myself). However, I'm not sure if I will be able to get past the Sept 1st cutoff by the district. Is there a possiblity that my child could be a first grader by his 6th birthday? How could I get around that Sept 1st cutoff?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! According to the Massachusetts homeschool laws, your child has to be 6 by December 31 of that school year. So I would read that as yes, if homeschooled, your child could be in 1st grade by his 6th birthday. Does that even remotely answer your question, lol? If not, feel free to tell me!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!