Please help, need urgent advice about homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default Please help, need urgent advice about homeschooling

Hi All,
    My situation may be a little different and quite complicated but I would love any opinions. My daughter will be going into her junior year in September. She is very bright. That is not only my opinion but the opinion of her guidance, principle and teachers. Now my daughter does suffer from anxiety, we have sustained over the years and she has since gotten the help of a therapist but the last few years she did miss a lot of school at the same time she did receive all her credits and she did pass all her courses, AP, mostly with As and Bs. Now this year was particularly tough and as she did lose credits for an entire term due to one absence over the permitted amount she lost an entire term of credits although she passed all her classes. Which I completely understood and we weee all ready for her to make up Any credits. She has been struggling with chemistry all four terms. 2nd term she entered a program that was supposed to provide all study programs to give her extra help in subjects needed. Last term she still got a d in chemistry. This term an F. So for the year she failed chemistry, but all her other grades were As and Bs and a few C+So the option was for her to do summer school for chemistry plus summer school for an elective for any lost credits. I have been looking into options for weeks. Every course I mentioned to the school they said it was not credit worthy.. this included ASL, human relations, and life skills and college prep for students. They suggested health or fashion. I am sure health or fashion would be an easy A but that has nothing to do with any thing my daughter wants to do in the future so I was very put off. First of all, I think life skills is huge... I am sure 99% of kids don't know how to balance a check book, work on assertiveness and public speaking yet the school denied this course as relevant to a teenagers future? This is what made me stop and say what is going on here? I'm furious, as I feel if they can't even guide her to something general that all teens can use in their future they could atleast suggest electives that would benefit a teen getting ready to go into college but they only suggested what would give her credits and get her an easy grade. I'm lost here. I'm not a teacher and to be honest I would have a tough time helping my daughter with her chemistry homework but I am also uphauled. I figured her guidance would want her do something that would look good for college rather than to just get by. They have all ranted how bright she is and how she learns things in 2 days that it takes other kids two weeks to learn but they aren't even trying to help or give suggestions. I think there's so much more to future education than one course that a child is not great at. I want my daughter to focus on the courses she is great at which are SOO many. It upsets me that they are limiting children like this and setting so many Up For failure. I want better for my daughter but don't know what to do. I would do everything in my power if I thought homeschooling would be better for her but I'm scared and don't know if it would be a mistake because she has been in public school since she was little. I feel like they have impressed in her the fact that she failed chemistry could ruin the rest of her life but In my opinion she has no desire to get into a career that involves chemistry so why not try to help her focus on her strenths which are above and beyond but her school does not do that at all and it really upsets me.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help, need urgent advice about homeschooling

Hi, and welcome!

First, I want to make sure you understand the difference between homeschooling and enrollment in an online school (which many people mistakenly refer to as "homeschooling"). If you are looking for someone else to award credits and a diploma to your child, then you are interested in enrolling in an online school and not homeschooling. Time4Learning is not an online school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum.

If you are interested in homeschooling your daughter, know that fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Employers are required to treat a legally issued homeschool diploma the same as any other high school diploma. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

When homeschooling, the teaching parent decides what the student needs to do to graduate from the family's home school. Most parents look around online to see what credits various high schools require for graduation and model their home program after one of those, modifying it to fit their needs. No two high schools will require the same thing, so it' really frustrating when a specific high school won't allow a student to graduate based on one subject requirement that many other high schools don't even have.

It's usually surprising to parents who have been arguing with the school system about credits to realize they have maximum control if they decide to homeschool. What do you think your daughter needs to know to graduate? Do that! Many homeschool parents give credit for things like piano lessons (music credit), sports activities (P.E. credit), 4H, Scouts, part time job or volunteer work (life skills credit), arts and crafts (art credit), or casual parental instruction in things like cooking (home ec credit) or auto mechanics. My personal opinion is that life skills are very important and often overlooked in a student's education.

If you decide to homeschool, you will issue and sign the diploma. You will also be responsible for preparing a transcript for college. Let's Homeschool High School has printable diploma and transcript templates you can use, or Time4Learning provides them when you log in to your parent dashboard. I would definitely encourage you to visit Let's Homeschool High School to answer many questions you might have.

Good luck as you explore your options!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Please help, need urgent advice about homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi All,
    My situation may be a little different and quite complicated but I would love any opinions. My daughter will be going into her junior year in September. She is very bright. That is not only my opinion but the opinion of her guidance, principle and teachers. Now my daughter does suffer from anxiety, we have sustained over the years and she has since gotten the help of a therapist but the last few years she did miss a lot of school at the same time she did receive all her credits and she did pass all her courses, AP, mostly with As and Bs. Now this year was particularly tough and as she did lose credits for an entire term due to one absence over the permitted amount she lost an entire term of credits although she passed all her classes. Which I completely understood and we weee all ready for her to make up Any credits. She has been struggling with chemistry all four terms. 2nd term she entered a program that was supposed to provide all study programs to give her extra help in subjects needed. Last term she still got a d in chemistry. This term an F. So for the year she failed chemistry, but all her other grades were As and Bs and a few C+So the option was for her to do summer school for chemistry plus summer school for an elective for any lost credits. I have been looking into options for weeks. Every course I mentioned to the school they said it was not credit worthy.. this included ASL, human relations, and life skills and college prep for students. They suggested health or fashion. I am sure health or fashion would be an easy A but that has nothing to do with any thing my daughter wants to do in the future so I was very put off. First of all, I think life skills is huge... I am sure 99% of kids don't know how to balance a check book, work on assertiveness and public speaking yet the school denied this course as relevant to a teenagers future? This is what made me stop and say what is going on here? I'm furious, as I feel if they can't even guide her to something general that all teens can use in their future they could atleast suggest electives that would benefit a teen getting ready to go into college but they only suggested what would give her credits and get her an easy grade. I'm lost here. I'm not a teacher and to be honest I would have a tough time helping my daughter with her chemistry homework but I am also uphauled. I figured her guidance would want her do something that would look good for college rather than to just get by. They have all ranted how bright she is and how she learns things in 2 days that it takes other kids two weeks to learn but they aren't even trying to help or give suggestions. I think there's so much more to future education than one course that a child is not great at. I want my daughter to focus on the courses she is great at which are SOO many. It upsets me that they are limiting children like this and setting so many Up For failure. I want better for my daughter but don't know what to do. I would do everything in my power if I thought homeschooling would be better for her but I'm scared and don't know if it would be a mistake because she has been in public school since she was little. I feel like they have impressed in her the fact that she failed chemistry could ruin the rest of her life but In my opinion she has no desire to get into a career that involves chemistry so why not try to help her focus on her strenths which are above and beyond but her school does not do that at all and it really upsets me.
    " My daughter is also a junior this september ( has anxiety too) -- we have been homeschooling her for 1.5 years. This year her chemistry will be through VLACS.org - you need to check with your town's Education superintendent. In Mass. they all have different requirements."