1. bailbrae - 09-08-2010, 10:00 AM - permalink
    Hi everyone! It's been a while since we last had a roll call for our Massachusetts group and there are several more members now. Let's all chime in and introduce ourselves so we can all become more familiar with one another.

It would be great to find out how many children you have and homeschool, as well as how long everyone has been homeschooling, when you started using T4L and how it works with your schedule, etc. Of course, you aren't limited...so feel free to share whatever you like about yourself!
  2. bailbrae - 09-08-2010, 10:00 AM - permalink
    I'll get us started. My name is Katie and I homeschool my two boys, ages 11 and 6. We have been homeschooling for 5 years now and this is our 4th year with T4L! We do use the Time4Learning program as our core curriculum, supplementing when and where we need to. We are relaxed homeschoolers, and for us that means we don't follow a super strict schedule for our school day. While I do have objectives I would like to meet, I don't put a lot of stress on the boys (or myself!) to get them done at any particular part of the day/week...as long as they do get done, I'm good. For now, this works for us. If the time comes to reevaluate, then we will do so.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone!
  3. Steve - 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM - permalink
    Hi, my name is Steve. This will be our 2nd year of homeschooling. We are located 20 miles south of Boston. I haven't purchased the T4L program for my 8th grade daughter yet but am leaning in that direction. It appears the program is acceptable to the state of Massachusetts considering what I've read here about it being used for 4 of the 5 years as a teaching tool. Am I correct in assuming this? I have previously hand delivered a letter each year to the Superintendent of schools declaring my intent to homeschool my children and what method I plan to use to do so. Is this something everyone has had to do as well? My oldest child just completed his senior year of High school on line and was given a diploma, so I have faith in these programs.

I don't want to overburden anyone with too many questions right off the bat, but I do have questions. All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  4. bailbrae - 09-13-2010, 07:34 PM - permalink
    Hi Steve and welcome! I would just print off the scope and sequence, or lesson plans, for the grade level you need and submit them to the superintendant for approval. I would also work out a plan for the things that MA requires that T4L doesn't cover, like physical fitness and such. I usually go by the HSLDA laws for MA homeschoolers. I hope this helps a little. Hopefully some other members can chime in with their experiences as well.
  5. Steve - 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM - permalink
    Thank you for the information, much appreciated. To my dismay there is no Science or Social Studies offered for the eighth grade level with T4L. I'm currently searching the web for an interactive online site that will satisfy the requiements. I'm thinking I can use the T4L for it's capabilities and another program to supplement the remainder needed.
  6. bailbrae - 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM - permalink
    Steve,

My boys are entering 6th and 1st grades so I haven't yet run into the Science and Social Studies going away. I will say that a lot of members have talked about using the 6th and 7th grade Science and Social Studies for their 8th graders and they found it adequate. Now, having said that, I'm not sure if they broke it up so their child used it in 7th and 8th grades, or if they repeated the lessons, or if those that remarked on using it were new to T4L in the 8th grade and just started using it for the first time. Hopefully you can peruse the forums and see if you find anyone who has done that.
  7. Steve - 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM - permalink
    I actually found another program titled, Global Student Network. It appears it is ALMOST identical to T4L in format. I'm going to go with both. I can pick what I need to supplement from each so my daughter gets the complete educational benefits. I took a look at the field trip portion on the site here and I like it. I'm going to take the kids to the National Park in Lincoln this weekend. They don't know yet, it should be fun. Hey, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.
  8. bailbrae - 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM - permalink
    That's great, Steve. Glad you found something and are comfortable pulling from both curricula.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. Also, please feel free to ANSWER any questions you can.