What to submit to Superintendent
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: What to submit to Superintendent

Default What to submit to Superintendent

Hello all,

After a long time of thinking about it and losing sleep over my 6th grade daughter's education I have decided to home school her starting next Monday. I would like to submit everything I need to submit to the Superintendent's office by the end of this week, preferable this afternoon to just get it all over and done with, but I'm unsure what to submit. I have to print out a curriculum for our home school and I thought it would be available after I became a paid member but if it is I can't find it. I attempted to print out the weekly lesson plans from now until next week but it was almost 150 pages long. That can't be what they want, is it? If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it so much.

Also, if anyone can help prepare me for what I am going to face at the Superintendent's office or if there's more I should know I would really appreciate that help as well.

Thanks so much!

April

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi April, and welcome! I'm so sorry you've been stressing and struggling with your daughter's education, but I'm glad that you're giving homeschooling a shot. Here is the 6th grade curriculum overview. Much more condensed than the lesson plans, but still pretty well laid out. I think that should work fine for you. You can try to just print straight from the web page, or you may have better luck just copying and pasting the text parts into a word doc and printing that way...

I can't really offer personal experience for what may happen at the school board, but we have A LOT of homeschooling families in MA, so I would think things might not be as daunting as they seem. Per the Massachusetts homeschool laws, there's not too much they require, outside of approving the curriculum and additional materials. I would just look over those laws and make sure you have what they ask for. As far as additional materials...you can print the reading list from the curriculum overview page. Also, I think the curriculum overview page would really cover expectations of the requirements asked in both "a" and "c" of the homeschool laws I referenced.

Good luck! If you need to ask anything else, please do so...sometimes I can have lots of thoughts in my head, and I think I have conveyed those thoughts, but I haven't, lol!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Thank you for your response! I did a lot of research after I typed that question and got a lot of answers that I was looking for but I've been too nervous to go and submit anything. I'll add some of the info from the curriculum overview page into my letter but I still feel like I'm going to look so unprepared for this. The only thing that I have seen online about Gloucester's homeschooling looks like they're going to send me a form they want me to fill out with a lot more information than I've found I legally need to give. It all makes me nervous, I don't want anything bad to happen for her.

I would like this to be her last week of school since I wasn't prepared for last week but I'm not sure if I can just stop sending her to school after I give them the intent to homeschool letter or if I have to wait for something. I haven't been able to find any specifics about that anywhere. Do you have any info on that subject?

Blog Entries

You're very welcome! Here are a couple of paragraphs from the MA homeschool laws that I think will help you feel a little more comfortable:

"In the Matter of Johnna M. Searles, No. 9037CH0017, District Court of the Amesbury Division,
    Sept. 4, 1990, the Court considered the school district’s “request that the [home schooled] child be
    ordered to enroll in the . . . public schools pending the approval of a home education program.” Slip
    Op. at p. 2-3. The Court agreed with HSLDA and ruled the child did not have to be in public school
    while waiting for the school district to approve the home school and that “the interests of all parents
    are best served if they proceed expeditiously in a serious effort to resolve the matter by
    agreement.” Slip Op. at p. 3-4. The Court also remarked if an order to put children in school was to
    be obtained, the school district would first have to prove children were not receiving regular and
    thorough instruction. p. 4."

and

"If a home school is rejected after seeking approval, the burden of proof shifts to the school authorities
    to show that the proposed home school instruction fails to equal “in thoroughness and efficiency, and
    in the progress made therein, that in the public schools in the same town.” Charles, at p. 601. Home
    education is a “right protected by the Fourteenth Amendment.” (p. 598). The object of the statute is
    “that all children shall be educated, not that they shall be educated in any particular way.” (p. 600)."

So, basically, I would read that as you can go ahead and pull her out of school and start homeschooling her while you're waiting on the school board to appprove everything.

And, seeing that that they would have to have a very valid reason for rejecting what you submit and would have to prove that they think it unfit...you should be fine.
    Katie

Mthegirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

I want to start homeschooling my two kids 4th and 5th grade due to bullying issues and other safety concerns. The school is failing to protect my kids and I feel it's best to start homeschooling I am at a loss on where to start and what to write to super since I have already net with them regarding complaints and issues any help I would appreciate thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mthegirl View Post
    I want to start homeschooling my two kids 4th and 5th grade due to bullying issues and other safety concerns. The school is failing to protect my kids and I feel it's best to start homeschooling I am at a loss on where to start and what to write to super since I have already net with them regarding complaints and issues any help I would appreciate thanks
    Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your kiddos being bullied! I would check the threads above for links to homeschool laws and what the state expects of you. As far as I know, you don't have to provide an explanation as to why you are homeschooling, you just need to submit your curriculum/plan. Here are the 4th and 5th grade curriculum overviews. You can print these out directly from the browser, or you can copy and paste what you need to into a word doc.

Fourth Grade Curriculum & 4th Grade Lessons by Time4Learning
    Fifth Grade Curriculum & 5th Grade Lessons by Time4Learning

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to how things are going for you guys!
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling

Hi
    I took my son out of school last October because of bullying. I was told that I needed to submit a letter of intent pursuant to Massachusetts Department of Education guidelines. This requires that you specify competency of instructors, educational materials, how you plan to assess progress for student and a schedule of instruction (curriculum). I found AHEM to be a tremendous resource site when writing my letter and creating a proposed curriculum. The curriculum does not need to be a weekly schedule, only an estimate of hours spent weekly per subject. Homeschooling is very flexible because each child is different and the curriculum must be adjusted sometimes to fit the level of your child's understanding of a given lesson. My curriculum submitted last year changed about 85% as I made adjustments that better suited my child. The school dept was made aware of this at the IEP meet and they totally welcomed it.
    I also asked for a letter of approval in response. This came in handy when applying for virtual academy. We did not get into the academy and are still homeschooling.

T4L is a great program and has been working out for us immensely this year. I was very worried about homeschooling in the beginning, but no more. This has been the BEST thing we could have done. Good luck

Sinel
    bailbrae likes this.

4mylynn is offline Junior Member

I am sorry about the hard time your kids have had with bullying. I feel your pain and frustration. I too had battled with my daughters school before deciding to homeschool her. She started having difficulty in 6th grade,and had finally had enough of nothing being done by 7th grade.Homeschooling was never where we thought we'd end up,but has turned out to be a life saver! I am from Western MA,and the process of pulling her out of middle school here,at least,was simple. I wrote a letter to our district's Department of Special Education and stated that I was seeking approval to homeschool,noted the grade level at which she is currently working at, listed the subjects she would be studying and the curriculum we were using (T4L). I also included that I would be independently instructing her in PE,art,music,health,and independent reading. Include your contact information as well and you should be good to go! I did not have to wait for approval before removing her from school. It was a liberating feeling for my daughter to be able to clean out her locker that day and never look back! Approval took about one week. I received a letter in the mail wishing us much luck on our homeschool journey. All that is required of us is a progress report twice a year,and a new letter of intent at the start of each new school year for as long as we do this.T4L makes printing out progress and attendance reports easy. I hope you follow your heart. It's a scary leap,but has truly returned our family to happiness!Amy

Unregistered Guest

Default b0301hjr

Unregistered Guest

Default n285wiqi