Gardening?

Thread: Gardening?

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default Gardening?

I started a backyard garden several years ago as a way to feed my family healthier food, and save money doing it. The garden has grown every year since and we've put in some berry bushes and fruit trees now too.

It's not enough food to support us, not even close, and you'll still find me at the grocery store more than I'd like, but it's a start. My philosophy is "starve the beast"! I don't remember where I heard that, but I take it to mean trying to be independent of the big agribusiness food-grid as much as possible. I like that idea!

So today I planted a few more rows in my garden. Does anyone else out there do some backyard gardening too?
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

PinkyMorche is offline Junior Member

I have a few plants, but just can not invest much since every year I loose my crop. What do you use for pests?

For the big critters, like deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc. I have a big dog and a big fence around my garden plot. Works for me! I don't spray chemicals on my garden, but I've been lucky to not have a huge problem with bugs....so far.

I do have some Japanese beetles eating my grapevines and rhubarb and they're proving difficult to get rid of. I know there are insecticides made for this kind of thing, but I'm resisting. I read that they don't like geraniums so I planted some nearby and I'm hoping that helps. I've actually been out there looking for the Japanese beetles, putting them in a ziploc bag, and when I'm done for the day I just zip the bag and toss it in the trash. Sounds silly, I know, but so far I think it's working to prevent even worse damage to my plants.

So what do you do for pests? What kind of pests do you have?
    Last edited by mamaneedham; 07-08-2011 at 12:37 PM.

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I do square foot gardening. I have twelve 4x4 raised beds. I manage to raise most of our summer vegetables that way with very little effort. I could do more if I had time. I don't can/preserve much any more, which bums me out, because it's an alien concept to my younger kids. I think I'll get a bushel of apples and at least have them help me can apple sauce or something, so they're familiar with the process.

Square foot gardening is great if time is at a premium. I spend about fifteen minutes each morning on ONE garden bed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We garden, but between the horrible drought and the deer, we don't have much left. We did replant okra and peas the other day and they are doing pretty good because we finally got some rain, well it rained one and half days so far. We are about 9" down right now. Anyway, going to have to fence better around this because the deer were jumping our other fence.

As for canning and such, I do go to a u-pick and got a bushel of okra and put it up. I have gone to the packing house a few times. Last time I put up 25# of peaches. I live in Georgia--peach country! Hoping next year will be better with the garden.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Just today I discovered a whopping 4 peaches still left on my peach tree. The deer were so nice to leave me all 4 of those!

sherryw is offline Junior Member

We do some gardening, although not as much as I would like. We also have many trees including avocado, mac nuts, mountain apple, lemon, lime, and mango. We are growing tomatoes, onions, purple pepper, hawaiian peppers, pineapple, strawberry, raspberry, and lettuce. We had cucumbers but went camping for 2 days and came back to find our cucumber plants described by some kind of larvae. Was so disappointed. Our garden isn't near as big as we want yet, but we are constantly adding to it and learning as we go. Our goal is also to be able to grow the majority of our own food. What we can't grow we buy locally from our farmers' market. It is much less expensive than store bought and much tastier!