12-Year-Old Unhappy with T4L
    Silvrwood is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 12-Year-Old Unhappy with T4L

My 12-year-old is unhappy with Time4Learning. He finds the graphics to be of poor quality and the content to be too juvenile. I reassigned him from 7th grade to 8th grade classes, but he is still complaining that the lessons act as if kids donít know stuff they were taught in 5 grade or earlier. He has been taking snapshots of the scenes he is unhappy with, which I will be forwarding on. On my budget I canít afford to upgrade him to highschool level, and there just isnít a comparable all-inclusive service for the price.

How do other 12-year-olds react to the graphics and content?

bailbrae is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 12-Year-Old Unhappy with T4L

Hey there! I don't really have any advice...Ultimately, it boils down to every child learns differently. My oldest graduated this year. He used Time4Learning from 2nd grade all the way through graduation. He would tell me repeatedly how much he missed some of the characters from his earlier grades. He also loved some of the video instructors at the higher grade levels. He never had a real issue with the animation, and appreciated that the animation broke up the video instruction. If your son encounters material that he thinks he already knows, he could always skip the instruction and just take the quiz/test. Just a thought...

I hope you get some feedback from other parents. Good luck.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now in their 13th year (2017-18) of homeschooling!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You might try giving your child the quizzes and tests first. If he does well on them, don't require him to do the associated lesson activities. There is no reason for him to do lessons if he already knows the material, but he might not know as much as he thinks he knows.

As far as the cartoon-y characters . . . even if they are annoying, they do tend to make the material more memorable! My own kids got to the point where they were embarrassed for their friends to see them do the Language Arts lessons, but they have done far more boring programs and they didn't remember nearly as much. So they just didn't do their school work around their friends.

High school lessons "grow up" quite a bit (depending on the pre-recorded instructor). The lessons each begin with an animation, which can be skipped, but the narration isn't quite as goofy as in the lower levels. Again, the goofiness is deliberate, because it works!

Four of mine have graduated from our family's home school and Time4Learning has been our core curriculum since 2006. They started college at ages 16, 17, 16, and 16 . . . and did well. Tell him to give Time4Learning a chance.

That said . . . no curriculum is a perfect fit for everyone. (Try a few PACES or IXL and your child might be bored enough to appreciate his Time4Learning lessons. ) Also, most kids will complain about whatever school work they are doing at some point.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

libertycreek is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    You might try giving your child the quizzes and tests first. If he does well on them, don't require him to do the associated lesson activities. There is no reason for him to do lessons if he already knows the material, but he might not know as much as he thinks he knows.

As far as the cartoon-y characters . . . even if they are annoying, they do tend to make the material more memorable! My own kids got to the point where they were embarrassed for their friends to see them do the Language Arts lessons, but they have done far more boring programs and they didn't remember nearly as much. So they just didn't do their school work around their friends.

High school lessons "grow up" quite a bit (depending on the pre-recorded instructor). The lessons each begin with an animation, which can be skipped, but the narration isn't quite as goofy as in the lower levels. Again, the goofiness is deliberate, because it works!

Four of mind have graduated from our family's home school and Time4Learning has been our core curriculum since 2006. They started college at ages 16, 17, 16, and 16 . . . and did well. Tell him to give Time4Learning a chance.

That said . . . no curriculum is a perfect fit for everyone. (Try a few PACES or IXL and your child might be bored enough to appreciate his Time4Learning lessons. ) Also, most kids will complain about whatever school work they are doing at some point.
    I can't tell you how much I needed to hear this!! I agree with the OP, my 1 and 13 year old both complain about the juvenile content, but we are going to continue on. If I may ask, did they graduate at 16 or did they start community college courses at 16? I'm still navigating these options. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I'm glad that helped. Since, when homeschooling, the parent decides what the child needs to do to graduate from the family's home school and the parent issues the diploma . . . I chose to issue their high school diploma before they started community college. I felt they had fulfilled all my requirements for graduation from high school, since they tested at college level in math and language arts on their college entrance exams.

Another option would be to consider their early college years as dual enrollment and include the college courses on their high school transcript. I probably will do that for my next two, as it will make a "meatier" high school transcript. These days, it's fairly common for public high school students to be dual-ly enrolled and receiving both high school and college credit for the same courses. Homeschoolers can do the same.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

val111 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there I'm new and thinking about Time4Learning. You mentioned your oldest graduated and used Time4Learning all the way through to graduation. My question is did you supply a diploma or did he end up taking his GED. Some curriculums I'm using for my oldest supply the diploma. Time4Learning told me that I could Supply the diploma just curious what you did.Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by val111 View Post
    Hi there I'm new and thinking about Time4Learning. You mentioned your oldest graduated and used Time4Learning all the way through to graduation. My question is did you supply a diploma or did he end up taking his GED. Some curriculums I'm using for my oldest supply the diploma. Time4Learning told me that I could Supply the diploma just curious what you did.Thanks in advance!
    I issued the diploma for all my kids. (Four have graduated high school.) I wrote about that in an article on Defending the Diploma. I hope that helps! The site with that article (Let's Homeschool High School) also provides templates for diplomas and transcripts. Time4Learning provides templates within your parent dashboard, too.