1st grade SS

Thread: 1st grade SS

momof3cuties is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 1st grade SS

I just noticed today that my dd is almost done with all the SS. She is signed up as 1st grade. I also JUST noticed the circles for grades on the top of her SS page are 2 and 3. Her 2 is shaded in. Well my son is doing SS 3 and I know it would be too much for her since she isn't a very independent reader yet. Even with Peedy it would be a little too much since she is a first grader.

Obviously I can't be done with SS for her for the year....so where do I go from here with her???

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Social studies and science are offered as free bonuses. From third grade on, the programs are very thorough and complete. Most parents choose to supplement Time4Learning's first- and second-grade social studies with other things.

In the lower grades, a great way to "do" social studies is to check out picture books from the library and just read, read, read . . . about Columbus, about the Pilgrims, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Egypt and mummies, children in other lands, policemen, firefighters, and so forth. My kids love for me to find them a coloring page to go along with our books. I usually use the coloring page search engine at http://www.ivyjoy.com/coloring/search.html . My personal opinion is that this is the best way to present social studies concepts to young children.

If you aren't sure what your child should be learning about in social studies, you can use this Typical Course of Study as a guide. It is only a suggestion, as each school will differ in what they teach when.

One popular supplement is http://www.brainpopjr.com . You do have to pay a subscription fee for this program. I had one of my daughters view one of the social studies videos per week (having her watch it three times throughout the week). Each day, she did one of the little activities offered for each video (a game, writing activity, craft or art activity). On Friday, she did the quiz.

Wendy's World social studies at Ed Helper is fun, too, although it's another one you have to pay for. Samples are here.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

momof3cuties is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your quick response!

I think reading with my daughter is probably what I will end up doing. We have been reading Little House on The Prairie books already.

At her age I guess there really isn't that much pressure.

I'll have to check Brain Pop Jr out. Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Little House books are great! Compare
    and contrast their way of life with ours. Explain that Abraham Lincoln was President when Laura was a girl, and then read a book about Lincoln. Then . . . ask her if she knows what our President's job consists of! Almost every chapter ina Little House book will have something in it that you can expand on in some way.

Childhood of Famous Americans books are good. You can get them at Amazon and a lot of other places. I don't mind reading them to my children, because I find them interesting, too. Nest Video's Animated History Classics are great, also. My kids just love it when I tell them they get to watch a video for school! Netflix has some of them. There are usually some on eBay, too.

Enjoy yourself. First and third are fun ages to teach.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

When my children were in public schools they only did social studies and science in certain semesters (at that level). It wasn't everyday. And it definitely wasn't the whole year.