2nd Grade Math Fractions...no teaching?
    Kerin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question 2nd Grade Math Fractions...no teaching?

My son has started the "Fractions" Chapter in 2nd grade math, and I noticed that there is no teaching about fractions, they just go right into asking questions and quizzing him about them. Shouldn't there be some sort of information given about fractions before he should be expected to understand them?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My daughter is in the upper level, so I am not the best at answering this question, but I will do my best and will also find someone who can answer it for you. Perhaps the "questioning and quizzing" is to find out what your child already knows about fractions since fractions would have been introduced in kinder and built upon in first grade. Maybe it builds on what your child already knows???? Perhaps the questioning and quizzing is a way of teaching him about fractions. I know I have used that format to teach subjects.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Kerin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your input, Jackie! I went to the 1st Grade Math Curriculum, and there wasn't a single chapter or lesson about fractions at all! I went back further to the Kindergarten Math Curriculum, and the only mention of fractions was a lesson or two talking about sharing, and teaching halves and quarters. I really figured the 2nd Grade Math would get deeper into fractions, but there was just that short chapter with nothing but questions and no lesson about them. Fortunately I had taught my son about fractions last year in a different program, so he wasn't COMPLETELY lost, but I think the 2nd Grade Math Curriculum here is really lacking. He was working on another math chapter the other day that did the same thing (quizzing him on material that was never covered and using terms that hadn't previously been mentioned). I haven't run into this problem in any of his other subjects so far....

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow, that is strange that it wasn't introduced in first grade. I know when I was still in the classroom (second grade) we covered fractions, but it wasn't very indepth. It was more than just recognition though. I will try to find someone who can better address your situation.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

It was introduced in grade 1.
    We've done the grade 2 fraction few months ago.
    And yes once you click the 'star' (pizza power for example) and the page opens it will start quizzing.
    BUT..if clicked the 1 or 2 wrong answers..then the lesson begins.

roseredlilley is offline Junior Member Newbie

i had this problem with the division and multiplication that was in one of the chapters. we just skipped it until he gets all of the adding/subtracting down. then we will introduce those. My son was in public school for 1st grade and i think they covered fractions. if they didn't, he caught on. but he did get some wrong and then they showed him how to do it.
    Misty Taylor