2nd Grade Social Studies
    cybermom is offline Junior Member

Default 2nd Grade Social Studies

Question: My son completed all of the 2nd grade T4L Social Studies lessons, it seemed like within a months time, because it's not very many lessons, and I looked at the 3rd grade Social Studies so that he can continue with it, but it appears to be a bit too advanced. We tried a couple of the 3rd grade lessons, but I could tell it was a bit much for him to grasp right now. What do they do in that subject for the rest of the school year? He appears to really enjoy that subject and learning about the community, meaning of holidays, etc., and he still asks about it. Is there anything else out there for 2nd graders that he can work on in that subject?

I would hate to just not do anything else in that subject since he completed the lessons, and is still interested in it. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Or is it not that important for kids his age (7)?

Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

For second grade social studies, I have simply read library books to my kids. It's enjoyable, and they remember things better that way. Here is a typical course of study for second grade. You can see that they aren't expected to know a whole lot at that age (concentrate on math and reading).

Time4Learning's second grade language arts extensions are all based on science and social studies themes, so that's extra practice, too!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

cybermom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the tip! He's a pretty good reader, so, I will take him to the library to let him pick up some books in that area that he likes. Right now, he is all about "King Tut" and the whole ancient Roman theme.

...and yes, Lan. Arts Ext. does focus a lot on science & social studies, I guess that's why he likes it so much.

Thanks again.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning provides a complete math and language arts curriculum, with science and social studies as a free bonus at most grade levels. Second grade social studies isn't intended to be a complete curriculum, although it does cover the basics. A complete social studies curriculum is provided for grades 3 through 7.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Chrys is offline Junior Member

I noticed the short amount of lessons when I first mapped out the kids year. I chose to do just one of the actualy social studies lessons with my second grader a week because of that and then was pleasently surprised when I found out that the language arts program throws in some extra. I also supplement with library books that way we can really get the point of the lesson of the week. It seems to be working really well for her. And honestly with her it was a relief that language arts and math were the biggest subjects she's a slow reader and really enjoys math so we get to spend more time on those two subjects and if I mix them up just right she doesn't get overloaded by reading and just end up frustrated. My son's in 5th grade and I've had to teach him how to take notes because no one in public (or private) ever taught him that and the social studies in that grade is much more inclusive.