2nd grade writing help!!!
    JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default 2nd grade writing help!!!

My dear son who is 10 has some learning disabilities(LD). Maybe that has something to do w/ it, maybe it doesn't.

He just cannot stand that for writing the stories he is giving the exact same pictures and backgrounds as the book he just read.

My dh suggested that I have him do the writing before the story, but I think I will find it too hard to keep up w/. Because I have already missed the next one.

Any help would be appreciated!!
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Can you give me a lesson activity number as an example of "for writing the stories he is giving the exact same pictures and backgrounds as the book he just read"?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

HolisticMomof4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Jennifer, I know what you mean. My dear son is also challenged when it comes to writing. Anything to avoid the writing he would do. He is Right brain dominate, left eye dominate and has an audio processing (challenge) Thats why we are here and not in public school--cant fit a square peg in a round hole-- anyway his difficulty is the crossing over of information like math is left brain which he does very well, reading is right brain--he is doing much better now--phonics is hard because of the audio processing, but the thing is to write you need both hemispheres to work together--seeing the letters is RT Brain, writing is left. getting the info from brain to paper is hard. We have less tears when we type vs write but penmanship is important too so in using story creator i type while he dictates the story and for penmanship he writes a letter to his dad in Iraq. Also I think it is common for them to try to recreate the same background and story they just read. (Safety in redundance) One thing we try is to make it fun and imaginative. So what ever picture he comes up with i always say "Thats Great!" "Whats happening, then what, wow-who is that, tell me about her--until he loosens up enough to be creative and tells the story that is inside him, not the one he just read.

My biggest lesson out of HSchooling is to relax about it--and just begin again. The power is always now.

Peace be with you--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by HolisticMomof4
    So what ever picture he comes up with i always say "Thats Great!" "Whats happening, then what, wow-who is that, tell me about her--until he loosens up enough to be creative and tells the story that is inside him, not the one he just read.
    Well, I just don't know how to get through to him. Sometimes I am more patient than other times, but I have tried asking leading questions...He only sees the pages and the pictures as from story. At this point, he is completely NOT OPEN whatsoever to anything I have tried so far.

At first I was right there with him, in thinking that it was a bad choice to have the exact same characters in the same positions and w/ the same expressions as in the book.

Then today, I thought I was so smart, I tried to tell him to take the pictures and continue the story. Oh no, he couldn't get past that the pictures and characters were exactly the same as from the book.

I think it is just so hard that he totally balks at it. Maybe after doing t4l for a while longer(we just started), he will be more comfortable.

Even better, I would love to see t4l make some changes to this! Maybe have a remedial program that is similar to the 2nd grade program, but meant for older kids learning to read. Or even just have different characters for the writing OR EVEN just different positions and expressions so it is easier to write a new story.

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Can you give me a lesson activity number as an example of "for writing the stories he is giving the exact same pictures and backgrounds as the book he just read"?
    LA373

THANKS!!!!

Blog Entries

Okay, I read the Grand Canyon story and did the Story Creator activity. I see what you mean now! Rebecca had some good insight.

The curriculum used by Time4Learning is owned by CompassU, who will only provide it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license from CompassU which allows them to offer it to individuals. Therefore, Time4Learning is limited in the changes they can make to the actual content.

Two possibilities entered my mind as I was doing this activity. It's possible to skip the "picture" part of Story Creator altogether. You could have him skip that part and just ask him to use the word processor portion to write a story about anything he wants. You could even search "story starters" on the Internet and find some ideas to inspire him. (Story starters are things like "You are walking to the park one day when, suddenly, you notice a bright light in the sky. What is it and what happens next?")

Or, if he has ever watched a movie sequel, you could have him try to write a sequel to the story he has just read. Ask him, "What happened next?" Or ask him to pretend he's writing the SECOND book in the series.

I'll be watching for good ideas from other people, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I should be getting used to things like this... but I am still shocked at how quickly things can change!

Today ds woke up before everyone and did his t4l, even the WRITING!!! The writing that caused fits yesterday!

Now he didn't print it, so I didn't get to read it, but for me I consider it a victory that he did it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    It's possible to skip the "picture" part of Story Creator altogether. You could have him skip that part and just ask him to use the word processor portion to write a story about anything he wants.
    So you can make a story w/ out using the pictures, just do the typing? Perhaps just the words can be used...of course they are from the story, so he may not like that, but maybe...

Blog Entries

Once into Story Creator, I was able to just click on the keyboard at the bottom of the screen and type a story. I didn't use the pictures or words at all.

Well thank you! That gives me another option.

I'm sure we'll be using all of your suggestions!!