2nde grade: Language arts or Language arts extensions?? what do you use?
    peacerobin is offline Junior Member

Default 2nde grade: Language arts or Language arts extensions?? what do you use?

Hi,

I finally got around to looking at the 2nd grade curriculum overview in more depth and saw that it said the Language arts extensions is a language arts ALTERNATIVE curriculum. Zoinks! Here I always thought it was just "extra bonus stuff" that we could do if we had time.

I wondered if any of you can share if you use just the Language Arts, or the Language Arts extensions, or both? Thanks

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The following are my recommendations for all subjects in second grade, based on experience with my own kids. These aren't "official" Time4Learning recommendations, but sometimes it helps to see how someone else does things.

SECOND GRADE ARITHMETIC

Scheduling – 120 online lesson activities, 110 worksheets, 91 quizzes, 18 tests

Aim for 2 online lesson activities, worksheets, or quizzes per day. On the eighteen test days, the student will complete his usual two activities, PLUS the test.

Sample first week's grade two math schedule:

Monday The Big Deal Online Lesson Activity #20158
    The Big Deal Worksheet

Tuesday The Great Stamp-ede Online Lesson Activity #20236
    The Great Stamp-ede Worksheet

Wednesday Place Value Through a Thousand Online Lesson Activity #2B003
    Place Value Through a Thousand Worksheet

Thursday Lesson Quiz
    Spell It Online Lesson Activity #20148

Friday Spell It Worksheet
    Lesson Quiz

SECOND GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS

In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do the language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.
    I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:

1. In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

2. The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

3. Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

Scheduling – 179 online lesson activities, which INCLUDE necessary quizzes and tests. (Quizzes and tests are not separately indicated by their own icon at the bottom of the page as in some other subjects.)

Aim for two online lesson activities per day, during the first half of the school year (first semester) only. Because the writing assignments using Story Creator are open-ended, you might want to schedule only one language arts assignment on writing days.

Sample first week's second grade language arts schedule:

Monday Phonics Online Lesson Activity #LA353
    High Frequency Words Online Lesson Activity #LA354

Tuesday Fluency Online Lesson Activity #LA355
    Vocabulary Online Lesson Activity #LA356

Wednesday Story: No Lunch Online Lesson Activity #LA357
    Comprehension Online Lesson Activity #LA358

Thursday Writing Online Lesson Activity #LA359

SECOND GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS EXTENSIONS

In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do the language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.
    I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:

1. In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

2. The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

3. Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

Scheduling – 271 or 205 (see Note, below), 141 or 66 worksheets (see Note, below), 44 quizzes, 22 tests

Aim for 4-5 online lesson activities, worksheets, quizzes, or tests per day, during the final half of the school year (second semester) only. The student can usually do four activities, but it will be necessary for the student to complete five activities on 17 days throughout the second semester in order to finish the program during one semester (80 school days).

Note: Each of the 22 chapters in the second grade language arts extensions includes a reader presented in four different formats: Read to Me, Read Along, Read By Myself, and I Can Read. This is so your student can use the version appropriate for his reading ability. It is not necessary for your child to read the same story four times. The schedule suggested is based on only requiring your student to read one version of each story, which brings the total to 205 online lesson activities instead of 271.

In addition, the worksheets provided for each version of the story are exactly the same, bringing the unique worksheet total to 66. This schedule is based on only doing each story-related worksheet once.

Information to assist you in determining the best reader format for your child:

Read to Me – The program reads the story aloud to the student.

Read Along – The program reads the story somewhat more slowly and highlights each word as it is read.

Read By Myself – The program allows the student to read the story without aid, but selected difficult words are highlighted and the student can click on them to hear them read aloud. Other words are highlighted in an alternate color and students can click on them to hear them pronounced and defined.

I Can Read – The program allows the student to read independently, but he can click on any word that he has difficulty with to hear it read aloud.

SECOND GRADE SCIENCE

Scheduling – 16 online lesson activities, 5 worksheets, 6 quizzes

Aim for one online science activity per week, PLUS its associated worksheet and quiz (if any), during approximately the first half of the school year. Consider using some of the activities found in the second grade science teaching guides (available beneath the apple icon in the lesson plans) to reinforce these lessons throughout the week.

Science lessons are provided as a free bonus to students at some levels. First grade grade science lessons are supplementary.

In addition, the first grade language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science lessons for the year. The science themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science void in the second half of the school year.

Sample first six week's grade two science schedule:

Wednesday Life Cycles Online Lesson Activity #20029

Wednesday Families and Life Cycles Online Lesson Activity #20030
    Life Cycles Worksheet
    Lesson Quiz

Wednesday I'm Hungry Online Lesson Activity #20031

Wednesday Food Chain Online Lesson Activity #20032
    Food Chain Worksheet
    Lesson Quiz

Wednesday Basic Needs of Animals Online Lesson Activity #20128

Wednesday Let's Take a Swim Online Lesson Activity #20033

SECOND GRADE SOCIAL STUDIES

Scheduling – 13 online lesson activities, 6 quizzes

Aim for one online lesson activity or quiz per week during approximately the first half of the school year. Look for opportunities to discuss these concepts with your student throughout the week.

Social Studies lessons are provided as a free bonus to students at some levels. First grade students are offered the supplemental social studies lessons intended for first OR second graders. The lessons are some of my favorites but, in my experience, most first graders aren’t yet able to appreciate them. They do require some basic reading skills. If you did decide to use these social studies lessons for your first grader, it’s a good idea to repeat them in second grade.

In addition, the second grade language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available social studies lessons for the year. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the social studies void in the second half of the school year.

Sample grade two first six weeks’ grade one social studies schedule:

Wednesday The Basics Online Lesson Activity #20044

Wednesday Lesson Quiz

Wednesday Let's Meet Needs Online Lesson Activity #20073

Wednesday Meeting Needs Online Lesson Activity #20120

Wednesday Continents Online Lesson Activity #20046

Wednesday Lesson Quiz

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!