3rd grade math

Thread: 3rd grade math

ariannas is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 3rd grade math

Hi, we just started using T4L today, so far my daughter is loving it. We were using workbooks but she was getting frustrated with those. I think this will be a good fit for us.

When my daughter went into the Math section to try to do some lessons, the only icons she is getting are for tutorials, I thought that maybe she had to go through the tutorial first before she could get to the lessons, but still no lessons. Is there something that I have to do to set up lessons for her, so she has access to them?

Help as quickly as possible would be appreciated, she is eager to get back on there and work. Which is awesome!

Thanks
    Sarah

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3rd grade math

Many lessons include tutorial. You might be confused because "tutorial" is often used to describe something telling how to use a computer program.

In this case, a tutorial "tutors" (or teaches) a math concept to your student! The very first lesson activity in third grade math is a tutorial. The student can read the material or click on the microphone to hear it read aloud. Be sure she clicks on the animations during the tutorial, in order to fully understand the material presented.

Beneath each tutorial is a printable resource. These are to be done along with the lesson. They basically repeat the tutorial material in printed form and are valuable for students who retain information better when they write it. (There are printable resources below other lesson types, too. Thos printables may be done before or after the online lesson . . . or not at all, if the parent determines that the practice is not necessary.)

The second third grade math activity is an animated, game-style lesson. Time4Learning includes lessons in many formats, for variety.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Amynjacob is offline Junior Member Newbie

I posted this very question in another forum LOL So in the Place Value Beyond 1000 there is only 1 tutorial, is that it outside of the hard copy for printing? No other activities or anything for that particular lesson?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yes, at this stage the student just needs a "taste" of the larger numbers, to prepare him for what he will be studying in more detail at the higher levels. You'll find that Time4Learning math does this frequently, and it's a pretty good strategy. A third grader only really needs to know about place value into the hundreds, but if they've been briefly introduced to larger numbers and have started thinking about it a little bit, they'll find it easier to grasp the concept of "really big" numbers when they start working with them in fourth or fifth grade.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!